Logo

1993 omc 5.0 Cobra Braking alt. belt

B4winn

I have a 1993 four wins 190 horizon with the 5.0 omc cobra. I keep breaking alternator belt in half. It will sequel like a banshee for a bit at first and hold together then eventually it will do it more and more then finally brake. I have had alt. checked looks like new inside so that's not it everything else turns free and the alignment looks good. Its not throwing the belt off its just braking it in half. Any ideas? I would like to swap over to a serpentine setup if anyone knows of any kits for this model of boat. :mad: Thanks B4winn

The set up of the belt drives are crank pulley water pump pulley then to the left if you are facing the motor is the alternator all on a single belt. The other belt goes crank pulley to water pump pulley then to the right is the power steering pump pulley all on another single belt, so 2 belt drive system. It is a ford 5.0 fuel injected, same block and intake that came out in the Mustang GT that year.

Is the V-belt simply wearing and then breaking..... or is it breaking from excessive tension?

If it's from wear, you likely have an alignment issue or a rusty and abrasive shiv.
If it's from excessive tension, you likely have a Circ pump or an alternator that is putting too much tension on it.

Belt is spinning inside of pulley you can see the rubber that it throws off of it. Although it doesn't show much wear and snaps in half very easily. I am on my 3rd belt and have tried different belts. Pulley all look good but are not perfect.

Perhaps the belt appears to be spinning because the V groove is rusty, and it cutting away at the belt material.

Not for the faint of heart..... but a stick with sandpaper over the end can be used to dress up the sides of the V groove while the engine is running.
Use extreme caution if you should decide to try this...... you'll be on your own.

Belt is spinning inside of pulley you can see the rubber that it throws off of it. Although it doesn't show much wear and snaps in half very easily. I am on my 3rd belt and have tried different belts. Pulley all look good but are not perfect.

Ayuh,.... You've found the Problem,.... Rusted pulleys destroy belts,...

Clean 'em up, 'n paint 'em,... I use rattlecan Rustoleum myself,...

I have the same problem with my 5.0 ij just replaced the alternator and I’ll be damned it broke again does anyone know what size belt it supposed to have

Back