Logo

1972 Chrysler marine 340 parts on 318 longblock - main bearing retaining bolt mismatch?

bywhite

The guys putting my old '72 Land N Sea Chrysler 340 marine parts on the new 318 longblock say that the main bearing retaining cap bolt is different length for the new 318 than from my old 340 and they are trying to see if they can get the 318-sized bolt machined somewhere. This is the first I have heard of this mismatch. Do you'all know of this snag or of a good source for this bolt? Please advise.

Thanks,

- Byron

Last edited:
The guys putting my old '72 Land N Sea Chrysler 340 marine parts on the new 318 longblock say that the main bearing retaining cap bolt is different length for the new 318 than from my old 340 and they are trying to see if they can get the 318-sized bolt machined somewhere. This is the first I have heard of this mismatch. Do you'all know of this snag or of a good source for this bolt? Please advise.

Thanks,

- Byron

Ayuh,.... Why are the main bearin' cap bolts an issue in a long block swap,..??

Ayuh,.... Why are the main bearin' cap bolts an issue in a long block swap,..??
This would appear to be the only and main question of any significance!

IOW, you either have a "long block" that would not require any additional main bearing cap bolts!
Or....... you don't have a new "long block"!

Question:
Has this come up because of a windage tray that was not part of the "long block" assembly?

Last edited:
This would appear to be the only and main question of any significance!

IOW, you either have a "long block" that would not require any additional main bearing cap bolts!
Or....... you don't have a new "long block"!

Question:
Has this come up because of a windage tray that was not part of the "long block" assembly?

Ayuh,.... I'd think a baffled oil pan would be easier,....

Back