Logo

Differant type starter?

Toxicroller

In an earlier question by someone else about their starter, someone said not to replace with the OEM starter. It was on a 4.3l cobra. I think it was a 88/89? Basically it was saying to get rid of the old Delco non-gear reduction motor. Instead to purchase a HTGR/PMGR starter. Because it spins 3x as fasr with more tork to the flywheel with less amp. Where can these be found? Also can a automotive starter work and be safe?

That may have been me who mentioned those.

If you have the large 163 tooth flywheel, you'll want a motor similar to this one with the staggered bolt pattern.
Starter-Motors-marine-191162_image.jpg

For the smaller 153 tooth flywheel, it will be similar to this one with the straight across bolt pattern.
starter-motor.jpg

Make sure that you get the new bolts with it. The nose housings vary, so bolt length may not be the same.

Last edited:
In an earlier question by someone else about their starter, someone said not to replace with the OEM starter. It was on a 4.3l cobra. I think it was a 88/89? Basically it was saying to get rid of the old Delco non-gear reduction motor. Instead to purchase a HTGR/PMGR starter. Because it spins 3x as fasr with more tork to the flywheel with less amp. Where can these be found? Also can a automotive starter work and be safe?

Ayuh,.... A permanent magnet motor starter needs the extra plate in it to be Marine rated, just like the old heavy starters,...

The gear reduction starters are marine, by their design,...

2 very different starters,...

FYI: the Automotive version HTGR/PMGR motors look almost identical to the Marine versions.

This is an auto version.

41AcQkSaC4L.jpg

Here's an Arco Marine version.

Starter-Motors-marine-191162_image.jpg

Thanks for the information. It was a great help. I'm new to stern-drives and inboard boats and it's great to have a place to go for a little bit of wisdom.

Back