Logo

Compression Test 1996 30deo 6j8?

Maximus

Can anyone tell me what is the compression supposed to be on a 1996 30deo 6j8 outboard?
I did a test and the 3 cylinders all come out to 90 pound or within a pound of that,
To me it seams low but to have the 3 so close on poundage i'm not sure

Last edited:
There are many different gauges and techniques.----The fact that all cylinders read the same is a good sign.------What is the motor doing / not doing ?

Here is the problem,
its a 1996 yamaha 30deo hp 3 cylinder outboard engine,
When running down the river sounds like its missing and then it got that bad it was at full throttle and it couldn't get up on a plane,
I checked the spark and seems to be ok and when the engine was running i pulled off the top spark plug and it died and then tried the same thing with the second cylinder and it done nothing at all kept running like it was,
So i cleaned out the carbys and changed fuel hose and got new fuel and put in new spark plugs and still has the same problem,
I think it might be the reeds?

Here is the problem,
its a 1996 yamaha 30deo hp 3 cylinder outboard engine,
When running down the river sounds like its missing and then it got that bad it was at full throttle and it couldn't get up on a plane,
I checked the spark and seems to be ok and when the engine was running i pulled off the top spark plug and it died and then tried the same thing with the second cylinder and it done nothing at all kept running like it was,
So i cleaned out the carbys and changed fuel hose and got new fuel and put in new spark plugs and still has the same problem,
I think it might be the reeds?

hi

i have the same problem.
can you help me ?

hi

i have the same problem.
can you help me ?
It ended up being 2 out of the 3 coils were bad and it was running on 1 pot most of the time,
They would all show spark but they were not firing properly,
So check them all first before anything else
Very easy to check, here is a quick guide,
https://youtu.be/_kf1wfX5XAM

Last edited:
It ended up being 2 out of the 3 coils were bad and it was running on 1 pot most of the time,
They would all show spark but they were not firing properly,
So check them all first before anything else
Very easy to check, here is a quick guide,
https://youtu.be/_kf1wfX5XAM

thanks

I have let the moter run for an hour, and switched between forward and backward.
After that the moter stopt , i measured the way you told me , and 2 coils are dead.

now i have to find out if i can replace them for rec697-85570-10 coils
Do you if this is posible?

Back