Logo

boat being haulled out tommorrow, what else to do???

my 35 foot chris craft commander salon is getting hauled out of the water tomorrow. I plan on having the yard do two coats of bottom paint and change all my boats thru hulls (they all look pretty bad, some handles have rusted off). The boats motors do not work and i plan on rebuilding them over the next year. My goal with the haul out is just to make the hull of the boat as water tight as possible while i perform the necessary repairs to the boat while in the slip. What esle besides a bottom job and changing the thru hulls should i have the yard do while the boat is out of the water? P.S since my insurance plan will cover a haul out down the road i plan on pulling the boat one more time a year from now after i install the new motors before setting out in the open ocean. My goal this haul out is keeping the inside of the boat as dry as possible. Thank you

Installing a sea chest is a great idea for a boat that size.

Just some other thoughts...
1. Have an independent professional survey the transom for leaks, water incursion under the laminate, and dry rot. If the boat ever has a failure at sea, the most likely spot will be the transom. Try to find a professional who has no connection to a boat yard or repair facility.
2. Before painting, closely inspect the keel for cracks, soft spots, or leaks. A wooden or hard plastic hammer is very useful for this task. Tap the keel and listen for different sounds that would indicate softness or water incursion.
3. Once engines are out, closely inspect supports and ribs for deterioration and cracks.
4. Completely drain any and all water hoses. If you have a raw water washdown system, check the pump, and remove and inspect hoses. It's always a good idea to replace those hoses and double clamp them. A lot of boats get sunk because the hoses to and from the washdown pump break or come loose. Id darn near happened to me twice on the Chesapeake.
5. While the engines are out, consider installing a bilge alarm. This is a simple device with a float valve that sounds an alarm if water is in the bilge. It serves as an early warning system in case of a leak at sea.

Back