Logo

Repower with twin Yamaha 150s

lucky7

Thinking of repowering my 2002 grady with twin 150s. Have honda 130s now. Anybody have a ballpark figure for the new engines, rigging, and basic gauges? Any feedback on this conversion,pro or con? Thanks for any help on this.

You're talking about $13K each for the Yamaha F150's. You can find Mercury 150 FourStoke engines for about $10K, much less than Yamaha's. They appear to perform about as well as the Yamaha.

Yamaha is really pushing their new 4 cylinder 200 hp for repowering boats such as yours. Because the engines are so narrow, they can be mounted close together. And they don't weigh nearly as much as the 6 cylinder 200 hp Yamaha's.

What part of the country do you live in?

The dual Yamaha 704 binnacle is $435 on http://www.ebay.com/bhp/yamaha-dual-control.

Are you having to get a new hydraulic steering system and/or power steering assist? A new SeaStar hydraulic unit would be $800ish, not including labor, but some additional parts may be required to link the motors together. What gets your pocketbook is $2.2K for the power steering assist.

And was he quoting the digital gauges with all the electronic monitors?

I don't understand all the details on what the dealer intends to do, but I'd say $39K is his trying to hit a "home run". For that price, you should be getting 250 hp or more.

Look on Boattrader.com to figure out who's the dominant Yamaha dealer around you. If nobody's wanting to do business for a fair profit, ask on this forum who's the best dealer to repower.

Like I said earlier, I'd not hesitate to use a pair of 150 FourStroke Merc.'s for the difference in price. I've got the cheapest Merc. dealer anywhere 35 minutes from my house. And that comes from a 28 year Yamaha customer.

Last edited:
The quote was for a pair of 150s, standard gauges, cables, control and labor of taking off old engines and installing the new ones. He was giving me 3k for the old engines to make the total 36K. Seemed high to me. I am in Ocean City, MD. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Back