Logo

1949 Chrysler Crown engine -- part no. and supplier questions

brian_vancouver

I am having some difficulty in determining the engine details. For some reason (??) the prior owner removed the engine type/serial no. plate. (I suspect he removed it to polish and never re-installed -- jezz).

It is definately Chrysler -- there is a large "chrysler marine" embossed along the length of the exhaust manifold. However I can't say whether it is a "Crown" or "Ace". I have no idea what the difference(s) are.

Based on the original Chrysler Marine Maintenance Manual, looking over the various installation configurations, it is either a 1949 "M-47" or "M-47S" vee drive. I don't know what the "S" indicates.

I now have a couple of additional questions:

1. (ignition coil): The manual lists part no's for pretty much everything, but is silent on the original Ignition Coil model/number. Does anyone know how to determine this? and;

2. (exhaust manifold): Most urgent -- I have discovered a patch on the underside of the exhaust manifold. I want to replace it but without the engine serial number, I don't know how to determine the required part no.; also, are there any suggestions on a supplier?

Any help is appreciated,

Brian

Good luck on finding a manifold for that old gem from what I have found the M-47 was used in a wide variety of industrial, military and marine applications. Check the casting numbers on the engine and manifold.

Thanks for the link and ideas on the casting numbers. I haven't pulled it apart yet so I don't know the degree of damage -- external leak alone or risking getting coolant back in on top of the cylinders.

The he long term solution might be to repower but I dread totalling up the cost,

brian

A bit late for a reply, ....... I don't think anyone makes new manifolds for the Crown or Ace. (the link above is to Barr marine, and they do not make them any more)
Basic engine parts are easier to come by (look for parts for the Chrysler 265 CD flat head six for a year close to yours). Even Napa is pretty good.

"M47" is the marine engine identifier, ask only for the "265" and that gets you to the automotive area, where they can find parts.

Last edited:
Back