Logo

E225TXCDA 1986 225 Evinirude won't trim down but will trim up

chessbass

I have 12v at the C2 connector to the tilt motor and the relay clicks when I press the trim down switch. All works fine trimming up. Manual says to service motor if it doesn't work with power at the C2 connector, but is that the problem if it works trimming up? Could it be a hydrallic issue keeping the motor from trimming down? Trying to take boat out today and this happened! Been working fine up to now.

Keeping it simple.............

You say the trim electric motor works fine trimming up but will not trim down. The electric motor is a dual polarity motor meaning that if it works in one direction, it will most certainly work in the opposite direction (Electric Motor = Okay).

Just because a relay clicks does not mean it is operable. If you have not reversed the relays, do so. If the problem now reverses itself (trims down but not up), you have one bad relay. Let us know what you find.

Keeping it simple.............

You say the trim electric motor works fine trimming up but will not trim down. The electric motor is a dual polarity motor meaning that if it works in one direction, it will most certainly work in the opposite direction (Electric Motor = Okay).

Just because a relay clicks does not mean it is operable. If you have not reversed the relays, do so. If the problem now reverses itself (trims down but not up), you have one bad relay. Let us know what you find.

You nailed it! Before I saw your reply, I found a thread with the same problem and they suggested switching the relays. When I switched them, both up and down worked! Just a bad connection, but I did learn that 12v at the connector does not mean the motor will work.

Back