Logo

Mercruiser 165 Inboard?

Dreadnaught

I need to repower my antique displacement cruiser, and am considering a mercruiser 165 or 140. It is a straight shaft inboard install. Is there a simple way to put a Borg Warner or other standard marine gear with a reduction on one of these? Assuming I buy one used out of a stern drive boat.
Thanks!

I need to repower my antique displacement cruiser, and am considering a mercruiser 165 or 140. It is a straight shaft inboard install. Is there a simple way to put a Borg Warner or other standard marine gear with a reduction on one of these? Assuming I buy one used out of a stern drive boat.
Thanks!

Ayuh,.... You'd need the right flywheel cover that fits the motor, 'n the transmission,...

Btw,.... The 165, I6 is a good old motor, but it is awfully old,....
The 165, I4 is NOT a motor you want,...

If you can take the engine to a Borg Warner pattern flywheel cover, the door is wide open for you.

Borg Warner will get you to just about any I/B transmission that you'd want for this installation.

Here's a Borg Warner six bolt pattern flywheel cover.

AP5099.jpg

These are both Borg Warner drive couplers.

ALTDA-106A.jpg
18-5661_0.jpg

Here's the Borg Warner six bolt pattern again, and the Borg Warner shaft splines.

IMG_1858.jpg

Borg Warner will also get you to the AQ series Volvo Penta stern drives, as you can see with this V/P PDS adapter housing.

DSC06084.JPG

Last edited:
Ayuh,.... I've found some old Stringer drive flywheel covers that are Chevy/ Borg Warner 6 bolt patterned,....

Had 2 of 'em, 'n gave 1 to a Bud, he mounted an old Paragon on it,... 6 bolts,... same pattern, 'n hole,...

Thanks! Do you have part numbers for those pieces? So, is the bellhousing pretty standard? I have heard all Chevy's have the same bolt pattern, does that mean that there are many flywheel covers that will fit the Merc 165 engine? What is the difference between the 165 I6 and I4? I am pretty sure I only want the straight six. More power than I need, but smoother I'm sure.

An old (same vintage as the I-6) flywheel cover from a v-8 chevy should work fine, as long as it is for the BW gear you get. you can get part numbers from the engine parts link at the top of the page...

Ayuh,.... The block flange on Chevies, from the I4 to the BBC are All the same pattern,...

From the late 50's through today,...

Here's a GM Borg Warner pattern flywheel cover.
This one accommodates both I/B's and I/O's regarding the starter motor location.
AP5099.jpg

Back