Logo

Vintage Autolite sparkplug conversion help? 4S-165

Thank you for your reply on this.

I tried the sparkplugs.com site and couldn't seem to get it to provide a conversion for the autolite 4s-165 plug. sorry to bug you for this, but can you provide the link that shows the equivalent?

Again, Thank you,

Brian

Chrysler Crown M47 -- Part no's and suppliers?

I cant find your motor on the autolite website you say 1949 chrysler crown marine what is the HP and was it manufactured under a different name?

I am having some difficulty in determining the engine details. For some reason (??) the prior owner removed the engine type/serial no. plate. (I suspect he removed it to polish and never re-installed -- jezz).

It is definately Chrysler -- there is a large "chrysler marine" embossed along the length of the exhaust manifold. However I can't say whether it is a "Crown" or "Ace". I have no idea what the difference(s) are.

Based on the original Chrysler Marine Maintenance Manual, looking over the various installation configurations, it is either a 1949 "M-47" or "M-47S" vee drive. I don't know what the "S" indicates.

I now have a couple of additional questions:

1. (ignition coil): The manual lists part no's for pretty much everything, but is silent on the original Ignition Coil model/number. Does anyone know how to determine this? and;

2. (exhaust manifold): Most urgent -- I have discovered a patch on the underside of the exhaust manifold. I want to replace it but without the engine serial number, I don't know how to determine the required part no.; also, are there any suggestions on a supplier?

Any help is appreciated,

Brian

Last edited:
Back