Logo

TAMD 41As not cranking.

bobt

Contributing Member
I have changed out the two TAMD40As with two TAMD41As, but have kept the wiring harness and instrument panels from the old engines. Took some figuring, but had a school trained Volvo wrench draw a diagram for the wiring...only change was tachs and oil pressure transmitters. Any how...they both cranked and ran well. Recently I decided to start both engines and run them for awhile. The horns/warning sounds, instruments comes to life, but when the key is pushed in and turned for start mode...everything goes dead, until the key is returned to run mode...no starting, cranking of either engine, both do the same thing...nothing. I had a similar problem once before, and found it to be the neutral position on the gear shift and gear box wasn't correct. Moved the gear shift while the key was being pushed and turned and things came on line and cranked. Not happening now. I can jump the solenoid and turn over the engine, but not the way to go, any ideas??? Thanks Bobt

Does the engine turn over properly when you jump the solenoid, or a bit slow? Your symptoms would be classic for a bad cable end, bad battery, or poor battery connection.

Thanks Ali, You are probably right... The engines are installed backwards and uses a V-drive, so the only starter, I can reach easily, is the Port side. It does turn over very slowly when solenoid jumped. I'm beginning to think it's weak batteries. I just tested the relay on the Starboard engine and it seems to work well. Many plug-in connections before reaching wheel house and/or bridge. Got 54 foot of elect cable just to lower panels. Probably two or three hidden connections, all seem to check out with multimeter, but who knows. Having both engines do the same thing at the same time is what's throwing me. Had no problems a few months ago, but now??? No cranking of either engine, plus I have a four cylinder Kubota generator stuck in-between them...not much room. I'll have to pull it out just to reach the Starboard starter. I think I'll pull the Port starter, ground it and try the key switch, if it turn over, it's probably weak batteries or poor connection Thanks BobT

Back