Logo

Moving twin enigne boat on one engine

Hello all!!! I recently purchased a chris craft commander salon 35'. The boat has two ford 427's. One of the engines fires up and runs (not that well but it runs), the other engine appears to be seized and wont turn over. I need to move the boat from the slip its in now to my slip. Its maybe 5 miles from marina to marina. Can I slowly make my way on just one motor? will I hurt anything by doing so? Im kind of hesitant to take the boat from marina to marina on just one "sketchy" engine.

Can I slowly make my way on just one motor? will I hurt anything by doing so? Im kind of hesitant to take the boat from marina to marina on just one "sketchy" engine.
It will be a slow cruise....... especially if going against any current....., but should be doable.
You'll need to stay in the lower RPM range.

Not to sound Gloom-n-Doom, but an engine that runs OK with no load, may not perform well under load.
Perhaps take a fuel sample.
Look at the ignition system.
Verify ignition timing.
Verify the cooling system.

I would ask for a capable "tag-a-long" boat to follow close by, and with radio communication between the two of you.
Have a tow line already set up, and have a plan in mind should you need it.

Make dang sure that you have an adequate anchoring system on board.

I'd also recommend that you inspect and verify all electrical systems, including main bilge pumps, charging system, etc.

Hey guys thanks for the answers. That's good advise about a chase boat at the ready. After thinking it over I decided to just pay for the tow. Last thing I need at this point is to destroy or severely damage the boat because I wanted to keep some money in my wallet (for the time being at least).

Back