Logo

Oil change and lower unit oil change?????????

grmaro

Contributing Member
Hello This is going to be my first service since I bought my boat last October coming up on 100hrs which will be actually be 200hrs I was thinking of going to synthetic's since I've been using them forever and believe(all my other engine's) in them BUT I never see them in any HONDA engine's other than there car's I know oil is cheaper but synthetic's have great quality better with hi-temp or in case of water intrusion thinking of using MOBIL 1 High mileage for the engine and Evinrude synthetic for the lower ANY AND ALL OPINIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED HELLO MECHANIC'S WHAT DO YOUALL THINK THANK YOU Greg:)

I think you are wasting money. If you change out the motor oil every 100 hours or every year, whichever comes first like you are supposed to do, and should do, then there is no advantage whatsoever for using a synthetic. Ditto for the lower unit lube, in my opinion.

Hello chawk_man so synthetic is a waist of money OK is there any other oil's you would suggest other than Honda's. Thank You Greg

It doesnt have to be full synthenic oil. Any FCW 10-30 or 40 should be ok.
We are honda marine and suzuki dealer here long beach ca. I 've been using suzuki marine oil on mine.
it is good oil.- made by motul-half synthenic-fcw - do the oil change every 100 hours.

In terms of oil for your Honda outboard -after break in, I believe you can use about any 10W-30 high detergent oil with an API certification of SG or higher, unless you are operating in extreme conditions. There are probably a 100 or more brands out there, but there are only about five significant manufacturers in North America. So all those brands are often the same oil branded for a specific retailer.

I'm not sure whether Honda has any additional specifications on its oil, butthe Owner's Manual simply states 10W-30 oil with an API certification of SG orhigher.

The key is to change the oil at the recommended 100 hour interval, or everyseason, whichever comes first. If you think about it, if you average 30 MPH onyour engine, then 100 hours is equivalent to 3000 miles. But that 3000 miles isunder rather extreme conditions. It is somewhat equivalent to driving your caror truck, loaded down, up hill, for 3000 miles.

Got this off of Wikianswers some time ago...

Toyota motor oil is made by Mobil. Mobil is using their Mobil Clean formula,not to be confused with Mobil Drive Clean 5000 which is higher priced. Mobilonly packages their Mobil Clean in drums and bulk. Mobil's own literature terms this oil as "a entry level oil."The same Mobil oil is also the Honda factory oil and the GM Goodwrench oil.[/B

Back