Logo

1976 silverton manifolds

bcclew

Regular Contributor
basic crusader eng removed. new chev 5.7 long blocks installed have Osco mans and risers 3 inch.has half econo cool fresh water systems that have worked fine.mans and risers are about 5 years old so im looking too change before probs.i am putting the rear mount tanks that are used on 5.7 full systems.and different thermostat housings.here is my question the mans will noe be fresh water. should I replace the mans and riser with the same as before that are Osco 994 man and 992 riser is their another brand I should use that would have more volume of water?thanks for any help bcclew

If I deciphered things correctly, you have changed out your old engines and installing Heat Exchangers.....

Personally, I'd be inclined to make the closed system Full vs half but that's just my opinion.

The parts I think you are referring to are center riser types and they should be just fine...Barr and Osco are the leading aftermarket brand names and their stuff usually interchanges well. if you want an exhaust manifold with a larger volume of cooling fluid, I think the original Crusader log styles have the largest capacity but also the highest weight....

I think what you are referring to as risers are more accurately tagged as elbows...

1. basic crusader eng removed. new chev 5.7 long blocks installed

2. have Osco mans and risers 3 inch.

3. has half econo cool fresh water systems that have worked fine.

4. mans and risers are about 5 years old so im looking too change before probs.

5. i am putting the rear mount tanks that are used on 5.7 full systems.

6. and different thermostat housings.

7. here is my question the mans will noe be fresh water.

8. should I replace the mans and riser with the same as before that are Osco 994 man and 992 riser

9. is their another brand I should use that would have more volume of water?
I'm not trying to be nit picky here.... but it would help us if we all speak the same language on this.
So forgive me on a few questions here.

1. Hopefully these are built properly for Marine use.

2. I'm with Mark......... please define "risers" for us.

3. Do you mean "closed cooling" system?

4. Smart move, IMO.

5. NOTE: some H/E's are designed for a Half system, some are designed for a Full system.
    Generally speaking, they won't cross over.

6. Yes..... this will be required.

7. Do you mean that the mans will now be in the "closed cooling" loop?

8. I'd make my selection based on how much flow they will handle.

9. Do you mean more "coolant"?

Last edited:
ok my mistake yes these are marine 5.7s with half a closed system now.i have the heart exchangers for a full closed system and the full system thermostat housings. my ? is now that the manifolds will be part of the closed system.is their a brand of manifolds that would have more volume of anti freeze and might run a little cooler then the oscos if not I will buy the oscos thanks

The difference in volumes between and old "log" style manifold and the newer "center riser" styple won't be enough to change any steady state operating temperatures...

one more /I have a chance to get stainless mans and risers cheep .i have heard pros and cons about disimular metals and thought. thanks

I went to stainless center riser styled exhaust almost two decades ago and haven't regretted it for a minute...stainless steel elbow sitting atop a "stock" cast iron manifold...no issues at all...

That said, given the recent popularity of imported goods labeled "stainless steel", I'd be very suspect about what may be offerred for sale. A poor quality casting is likely to fail prematurely...and water in the engine is a likely outcome...the total cost will far exceed that of the "bargain" exhaust...Caveat Emptor said the rich man that used to own a boat...

Back