Logo

Chris craft 283 distributor

Kasparas

Hello, i want to ask some questions about distributor types. I am using Mallory dual point distributor now, but he is working not very well so i want to change him. I saw there are a few types of distributors such as magnetic type, hall effect. Their advance type is mechanical +(vacuum) but on each distributor they have wires, so these wires is used to connect tachometer or this wires is connecting to electronic modules which controls them? Thank you for your time

Also, is there all parts i need to install him??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-PRO-B...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c72e62db5&vxp=mtr

I prefer the Photo-eye and Magnetic triggering units .... favoring the magnetic reluctor style over the photo-eye.

I'd steer clear of any ignition distributors using Hall Effect.

Hall Effect intrinsically is great, and is widely used in the auto industry...... but is not so great in the way that Pertronix uses it.
These units are too small in diameter, and the magnets are cast into the plastic unit in a fashion that is no where near as accurate as Photo-eye wheel or a magnetic reluctor.

FYI... in the Mallory line of mechanically advancing systems, the YLM-624-AV is magnetic reluctor....... and the YLU-624-AV is photo-eye.
Either of these are for a standard LH rotation engine.

Here's a photo-eye wheel.
This makes or breaks an infrared light beam.
9-29200_0.jpg

Here's a magnetic reluctor.
This induces a magnetic flux line current.

reluctor.jpg

Here's a Hall Effect unit by either Pertronix or one of the others.

LU1122A.jpg
coil_example.jpg

Your call..... just my two cents on that.

BTW......
Their advance type is mechanical +(vacuum)
There will be no diaphragm vacuum advancing unit on any Marine Ignition Distributor.
Not necessary, and the Automotive ignition system does not meet USCG regulations for any enclosed marine engine.

Last edited:
Some of these engines used IBM Prestolite distributors, and if so there was a change in serial number half way through the production run.
You can NOT use the same Pertronix sysrtem for both, so you MUST be sure to get the proper one, if of course, you do have a 283 with this style distributor.
There are 283F and the earlier 283H series, so I don't know what series you have.

I would say to anyone getting ready to do an electronic swap like this, I would recommend you go to a qualified marine source for your part, and not buy something "cheeeep" off ebay, becauase anyone in the marine parts business will be savvy to the particular styles of marine distributors used by Chris-Craft and most everyone else won't even know Prestolite ever even made a distributor in the first place.

good luck, been there, done that.

DS

Back