Logo

1986 115 HP Mercury Power Trim/ Tilt

thebubba

Regular Contributor
I am off to my next adventure. I just acquired a 1986 Lund Tyee with a 1986 Mercury 115 hp inline 6 cylinder engine. I am very excited about this new boat. The engine has the serial number A909269. I am looking for some advice on the power trim/ tilt. The previous owner told me it was not working correctly before I bought it, so he was good enough to disclose before I bought. Once I got it home I hooked up my battery and tried the tilt and I get a clicking sound in both the up and down switch positions, but no movement. The motor is currently almost fully tilted up. I tapped on the tilt motor a little and it started to make a little noise like it was trying to operate, but did not actually move the motor and started to smoke a little. I think the motor is shot, my questions is should I just replace the motor or try to rebuild it? Is there anything else on the trim/ tilt I should be looking for or check out before buying or rebuilding the tilt motor? Luckily I got this boat really cheap.

It is 27 yrs. old, coils have been overheated...smoking; most likely needs a rebuild. You can take it apart and investigate its condition and then decide. I would just replace it w/a good one, new, used or remfgd. Make sure you get the correct shaft end coupler for your pump assy.

That makes sense to me. I just ordered the manual for this motor, when I receive it I will start tearing it apart. I have worked on a lot of smaller engines, just not anything this big much.

Back