Logo

Gale 5HP info and parts help..

naturelover

Hi All!!

New member with a question of course.

Acquired a Gale 5HP outboard and was wondering if anyone could fill me in on some info.

First of all, was bought as one of the "it ran last time I used it", but then again, so did everything else. Didn't have a way to run it, but figured for the price, I couldn't really go wrong though....

Fired right up though, and was running like a top. Is way smoother than my Clinton 7HP Sea King. It was even pumping water, but then it quit, so I shut it off. Not sure what's wrong, but it appears this is truly a fully water cooled motor, unlike the Clinton, so I'll go ahead and replace the pump.

Can I still get one? What would this motor cross over to parts wise? Its a GG18732A. Any info on year or anything?

Pictures....

Thanks for any info! :)

Last edited:
Many of the consumable parts are the same as Johnson and Evinrude. Find a small outboard shop that is not afraid of older motors.------Yes it is fully water cooled and powerhead must be removed to service waterpump and lower crankshaft seal.--------These are excellent motors and with proper care will last many more years.

Many of the consumable parts are the same as Johnson and Evinrude. Find a small outboard shop that is not afraid of older motors.------Yes it is fully water cooled and powerhead must be removed to service waterpump and lower crankshaft seal.--------These are excellent motors and with proper care will last many more years.

Cool!

I was hoping this was going to be an easier one to find parts for, and it does look like this one is the same as the 5.5hp J/E motors of the period..

Did find a good article with pictures on how to replace it, so will start from there. Good thing is, as you say, my lower unit and such do match the pictures he has posted... Might just go ahead and replace the lower seal if its the same as its J/E equivalent and available, I have a K500 Clinton that needs one also, but am having a harder time finding that one...

Thanks for the info, believe I can get started in the right direction now!

ETA. Appears I should mix this at 16:1 or 24:1 correct?

Last edited:
Back