Logo

1997 25hp Mercury

Greg smith

Motor starts first time every time while cold, however, after reaching full running temperature will not start until left for some time. This has only happened in the last few months. Before that it was always a brilliant starter. Does anyone have any experience with this or any suggestions?

You have to provide alot more information to solve this issue.
after reaching full running temperature will not start until left for some time.
Will the starter crank the engine fast? Is there loud snapping blue spark? Or, does the solenoid just click?

You have to provide alot more information to solve this issue. Will the starter crank the engine fast? Is there loud snapping blue spark? Or, does the solenoid just click?
E

It cranks ok, if I use the electric starter it keeps throwing the starter cog from the ring gear without firing. I seem to have more success using the manual starter. Is there a part in the motor that's capable of shutting it down because it thinks it's over heated. Water pumps properly. Thanks for your time Guyjg

You said it will run untill you shut it off but then it won't restart. Is that only w/the elec. starter or also w/the pull start? The elec. starter has to make it spin fast enough for the stator to produce voltage. Will it crank faster if you jumper the 2 studs on the solenoid? Have you sanded clean all of the battery +/- connections? Have you ever serviced a starter motor? Worn brushes and a burned commutator will reduce the starter's efficiency causing it to drop off the ring gear. Is the battery strong and fully charged?

Hey Jeff, do you have carb-a-phobia? :)

My bet would be a cracked bobbin or coil somewhere, but will have to play out the troubleshooting.

(I guess that make me "winding-a-phobic" :))

Back