Logo

225 opti trim sender & tach sender

9 shots

I just installed a 2001 225 hp Optimax on my bay boat, 118 hrs of operation with no codes in history. I am having two problems that I'm aware of. (1) The tilt/trim sender is different from my old 200 efi. There are three wires coming off the sending unit, blue, black and either faded yellow or dirty white. They come up into the lower pan with the trim motor wires and are laying on the starboard side, not connected to anything. They have plug sockets on the ends and appear to have been connected in the past. But, I can't find where or what they the plug into. There is a brown/white striped wine inside the cowl that plugs to the brown/white striped wire in the main harness that goes to the tilt/trim gauge. Where does the sending wires attach and how does the signal (voltage change) get from three wires to the one wire to the sender. (2) I am getting about 5 volts on the gray wire at the tach but no signal. How do I troubleshoot this problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
The five volts is a reference voltage, if you try too hook this up with out using a smart craft gauge you can shut the engine down. You will need a smart craft gauge to hook up that sender.

Back