Logo

omc 175 not shifting into forward gear

Brad Orser

I have a 1978 Omc 175 Sterndrive 400 series. The shifting is causing some issues, reverse works fine but it is not engaging all the time into forward. Occasionally it works, last night i had to come off the water in reverse!
I have completely rebuilt the leg this year and am confident its nothing in there, I think its the shift cable or the esa. any suggestions on where to start?

tough to follow what you are dealing with for 2 reasons,
1. a 400 shouldn't be behind a 175, it was only for 4 cylinder engines and has a max HP rating of 140HP
2. the ESA was "invented" in 1982, or that was the first year it was introduced.

So has your boat been updated with the ESA retrofit kit? is it a full mechanical lower, or hydromechanical lower?

sounds like taking the cover off the shift converter and checking cables and routing would be first step regardless.

Im confused as well, one mechanic tells me it is a 400 and another tells me it is a 800. It is a 302 engine so that must mean its a 800 series. I am just learning the ropes with these marine engines, hopefully you can be patient with me. where would i find the shift converter and what is a hydromechanical lower. I do have a manual but it is at home 9 hours away

I got it all fixed up now. The control box is done, i disconnected the wiring and wired in a three way switch. Up is forward and down is reverse.

Back