Logo

Merc Mariner Mechanic near Norwalk CT?

chimon

Looking for a Mariner Mechanic near Norwalk, CT... around here Mercury mechanics don't like working on older engines... would rather me buy a new one. Any help appreciated

What motor do you have and what are the issues here.----Most work can be done yourself with a bit of coaching.

It's a 1997 135 V6 --

I just bought this 'short money' boat, unsure of how well it was maintained before and I've never owned one before...
It's somewhat hard to start (advance throttle to start and a few hits to the key, which I guess may not be uncommon?)
It's beginning to smoke (very very whitish/ light blue, but more than it did 3 months ago...)
VERY thirsty engine... plugs look oil-fouled.

I drive a 1975 land rover, which i service -- but this little guy seems way more complex.

Thanks for the reply.

Take the compression test as step # 1.------------On some control boxes the key must be pushed in to engage the enricher circuit ( replaces choke flappers ) while cranking the motor over.---------------Very thirsty ?-------- is the enricher circuit leaking ??-------Is there an issue with carburetors leaking ?-----Does the manual fuel pump go hard when you operate it ?

It's beginning to smoke (very very whitish/ light blue, but more than it did 3 months ago...)VERY thirsty engine... plugs look oil-fouled.
It's a V-6...all 2 strokes guzzle gas. Engine will produce more steam in cool weather. It burns oil! Install a new set of the correct spark plugs and run the engine for awhile. Check each plug to ensure it is firing. What is the max RPM in the water, engine trimmed?

Take the compression test as step # 1.------------On some control boxes the key must be pushed in to engage the enricher circuit ( replaces choke flappers ) while cranking the motor over.---------------Very thirsty ?-------- is the enricher circuit leaking ??-------Is there an issue with carburetors leaking ?-----Does the manual fuel pump go hard when you operate it ?

I'll check all this stuff -- thanks both for the leads -- I've got my manual, so have to find out WHAT each of these is....

Is checking spark the same as in a car? Screwdriver to the block?

Points on Gas and Oil taken.... I've got the plugs already, was going to Seafoam it before putting new ones in. Max RPM is about 5200 when it's planing and engine is trimmed. It's on a 21' steigercraft block island.

Back