Logo

Details about 5.7GSi please

cj270

Hi all,

I am looking at buying a 2000 Chaparral 280 SSi Bowrider with twin Volvo Penta 5.7 GSi engines coupled to DP drives.

How much power do these engine produce ? Is that good power for that boat ?

I'v also looked at a 31' Rinker which has a single I/O with 375HP... I'm thinking that is gonna be under powered compared to the smaller Chaparral with much more power.

I know VP produced the 5.7 with 3 different output ratings...L=limited, S=superior, X=exceptional.
This boat has the GSI which means its base engine is GM ? big block or small block ?
S= Superior output and I= Injection.

What are the different power ratings for the 3 versions and other than for the power, how are they different ? ...

Is it like, the lower power units can be used "harder" ?

I am looking at buying a 2000 Chaparral 280 SSi Bowrider with twin Volvo Penta 5.7 GSi engines coupled to DP drives.

How much power do these engine produce ? Is that good power for that boat ?
First off...... some have a tendency to underrate the Duo Prop drives.
V/P still holds the patent on their unique twin counter-rotating propeller design, of which sets them a bit above.

The DP's will add as much performance to this hull, as would an additional 60 horse power per engine if/when using single prop drives.
No questions about it.

I have installed quite a few Duo Prop drives to an array of customer's hull sizes. No one to date has been disappointed.

Years ago, and on my own personal twin 5.7L 28' SDN F/B boat, I went from s/p drives to Duo Prop drives.
The difference was literally night and day.

Back