Logo

Identifying yr, hp.

Papioguy

A guy has a boat/motor for sale. He bought it used as did the guy who sold it to him. He thinks the motor a Merc
is a 60hp and around 1974. The only thing we have for sure is the serial number which is 4098163.
Any idea what yr and hp it is?

Last edited:
Based on the cover the year is about right.--------4 cylinder motor is either a 50 HP or 80 HP----Judging by the size from the picture it might be the 80 HP.

Thanksfor the reply. Based on this website they did not make an 80 in 74-76. They did make a 50 tho. I do not have physical access to the motor but the seller says the decal indicating the HP or model is not visible any more. Does anyone know if they stamp any info on the inside of the cover or on the motor as to HP? If I know that the rest should be easy.

http://store.oldmercs.com/category_s/2687.htm

It is a 1974 either a 50 hp or and 80 hp. I think it is a 50 hp. The lower unit looks like a small foot. One way to tell is to check the prop diameter possible. The 50's could only take about a 13" diameter prop where the 80 hp could take a much larger diameter prop because they have the larger foot like the 115 hp. The 50's are the size of the 40-70 hp foot. Hope that helps.

Would like help identifying what year my 25 hp Johnson is. Any help would be great. Model no.25RL69B serial no. E3167753 Thank you

Back