Logo

97 BF 90 Trim and Tilt

eshibuya

I have a BF90 and the problem i am having is that when i reverse my boat off the trailer the engine seems to rise. I have no leaks in my trim / tilt. Could it be low fluid? I have refilled the reservoir but to no avail. Could it be there is still not enough fluid?

If you have no leaks, then it should not need fluid. The fluid in these does not "evaporate" or get "used up". So, if it is low on fluid, chances are you have a leak SOMEWHERE. It could be as simple as a VERY small leak at the DRAIN SCREW Oring. Make sure that the drain screw is tight. I see them where someone got the manual valve and the drain screw confused and did not properly re-tighten the drain screw after getting it loose.

I don't know the outboard's history so I guess it is possible that it may have not been properly topped off at some time or other.

In a case like this, it is always a good idea to check and make sure that your MANUAL VALVE is securely tightened down.

If the trim unit did get air into it, it can be difficult to bleed it out. Usually topping off and cycling it up and down many times and then topping off again will bleed them but you need to be careful not to overheat the pump motor when doing this.

If, after several cycles the fluid level stays where it should be, the drain screw and manual valve are tight and the outboard still rises in reverse then you probably have an internal trim unit problem like a stuck check valve or accumulator. This will require a tear down and overhaul of the tilt pump mechanism and I would say that the average boat owner is not capable of doing this on their own. Many shops can't seem to get repairing the SHOWA pumps right either and, sometimes, a replacement trim unit is the most cost effective way of curing the problem.

Good luck.

Back