Logo

Chrysler 55 HP leaking lower drive oil and year identification

powerwagon78

What are the possible places where the lower unit could be leaking oil out of? I had it in a trash can full of water to run it, and it was leaking lower drive oil out. The odd thing was I never put it in gear while it was in there so I'm not sure why it would be leaking that out???

Also, I want to buy a service manual for this motor. The model number is 5545, which I found cross referenced to 68-69 model year, so which year do I get a manual for? Or are they close enough that it doesnt matter?

Also if anyone knows the PN for the impeller on it that would be great too so I can make sure I am getting the right one. Thanks for all the help!

Jeremy

A lot of oil will collect in the barrel and it is the oil that is mixed with the gas !-------Some oil goes right through the motor and is wasted.-------------When the gears are turning ( in nuetral they still turn ) a gear box does develop pressure.--------The oil can leak where the driveshaft goes into the unit.-Oil can leak where the prop shaft comes out.----And several other gaskets and seals.

Back