Logo

24v unit only utilizing one battery?

steelebob

I did my own installation and I'm not sure when this started, but recently noticed I was running out of power too soon on my 24v minn kota. I start the day with 2 full charged batteries. When I checked on the batteries after fishing one AM, one was still fully charged the other was around 3.0. I've triple checked the wiring at the batteries and no problem there. My next fishing trip showed the same results.

My Setup:
Same type of batteries under 2 yrs connected in series
2 wires going from a 4 pin trolling motor plug to batteries
BUSS 60 AMP THERMAL WATERPROOF BOAT CIRCUIT BREAKER
No Switches
Please make your comments simple, I am tech challenged.
Thanx, Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like to me you have two mismatched batteries if one is discharging and the other is not. The best way to test them is to get a hydrometer from a parts store(less than $5 or $6) and check the specific gravity of each cell. I suspect you have a weak cell in the one and it is discharging and therefore going down much quicker than the other one and thus loss of power. Even though they are the same age, there is no guarantee that they both are in the same condition. Unfortunately, if you just buy one battery, you run the risk of encountering the same thing in that what is now your strong battery is now the weaker one and it may discharge before the new one and you are back where you started. The only way to fix this for sure is to get two new batteries and start from there. Expensive, I know, but that is the downside of having a 24 volt system, 36 volt is even more complicated.

Yes, it wound up being a bad cell and it was still under warranty. So I guess I'll just keep my finders crossed. It did work for the remainder of the season. Thanx for your answer, and adding to my very poor knowledge of batteries.

Last edited:
Back