Logo

How to fit the spring and retainer - Rewind Starter-4.5 Parts for 1983 Johnson 4.5 hp J5RHLCTA

(Manual Starter Cord/Spring Installation)
(This pertains to the side mount type manual starters such as the 4hp models)
(J. Reeves)

Have the rope/cord wound around the starter pulley in the proper direction and tuck the end of the cord under itself to lock it in place.

Assemble the manual starter to the engine, having the inner sping loop inserted over the related pin, BUT leave the starter spring UNWOUND and simply hanging thru the slot of the manual starter housing with the long length of the spring out side of the manual starter.

Now, using your ingenuity, rig some kind of device to force that plastic gear up into the flywheel teeth, jamming it so that it will stay engaged in those teeth.

It is now simply a matter of putting a wrench on the flywheel nut and turning it in the proper direction to pull that spring into the manual starter housing which will properly rewind it. After the spring has been pulled in completely, continue to crank it further until sufficent pressure is upon the spring. Usually three turns of the flywheel is enough.

Now, keep a firm grip on that small plastic gear so that the starter does not rewind. Using a sharp pointed scribe, pick the loose end of the starter cord free and run it out its proper exit, then attach the handle to it. That should do it.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at
:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

A huge thank you for your excellent response, it will pain me to unwind the spring but I will do as you say of course! It's been a long time since the engine was together and I can't remember which hole it should go through to catch the outer end? I also would love to know if I need the retainer (Part 5 in the exploded diagram)

"having the inner spring loop inserted over the related pin" does this mean I just slot the inner end where it's folded back on itself over the pin on the large toothed wheel and add the expensive retainer to my metal collection?!

That' s the final confusing piece of the puzzle for me your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Dom

Do not use the broken spring as a reference to install the new spring.----To me it broke like that because the rope broke and the pulley retracted at high speed to break the spring.

Do not use the broken spring as a reference to install the new spring.----To me it broke like that because the rope broke and the pulley retracted at high speed to break the spring.

Lost the old spring years ago so have no reference and no idea if I need the retainer bit and which slot the back end of the spring sits in...might get some better rope to avoid your misfortune though.

(Manual Starter Cord/Spring Installation)
(This pertains to the side mount type manual starters such as the 4hp models)
(J. Reeves)

Have the rope/cord wound around the starter pulley in the proper direction and tuck the end of the cord under itself to lock it in place.

Assemble the manual starter to the engine, having the inner sping loop inserted over the related pin, BUT leave the starter spring UNWOUND and simply hanging thru the slot of the manual starter housing with the long length of the spring out side of the manual starter.

Now, using your ingenuity, rig some kind of device to force that plastic gear up into the flywheel teeth, jamming it so that it will stay engaged in those teeth.

It is now simply a matter of putting a wrench on the flywheel nut and turning it in the proper direction to pull that spring into the manual starter housing which will properly rewind it. After the spring has been pulled in completely, continue to crank it further until sufficent pressure is upon the spring. Usually three turns of the flywheel is enough.

Now, keep a firm grip on that small plastic gear so that the starter does not rewind. Using a sharp pointed scribe, pick the loose end of the starter cord free and run it out its proper exit, then attach the handle to it. That should do it.

This technique qorked a treat, I managed to wind the rope on the wromg way but lucking you can fix that afterwards! I didn't use the retainer bit so I stll have no idea how that would work! Thanks for the very accurate and useful advice!

Dom

Lost the old spring years ago so have no reference and no idea if I need the retainer bit and which slot the back end of the spring sits in...might get some better rope to avoid your misfortune though.

I don't think he understands what you're referring to. I am having the same problem. The retainer spring doesn't make sense. Did you ever figure it out?

Back