Logo

2004 60hp 2 Stroke

Jtgritter

Hello All,

My buddy was just given a pontoon boat with a 2004 60hp two stroke on it. The motor hasn't been run in over a year. Yesterday we hooked it up to a new gas tank with new fuel in it in an effort to see if it would start. When we engaged the starter it kicks in and then hangs up. While we were doing this I noticed that the prop was spinning, almost like the boat was in gear. After further inspection when spinning the prop (Boat is still in neutral) the prop does not spin freely. It spins and you can hear a clicking sound. I personally own a large yamaha 4 Stroke and when my boat is in neutral the prop spins freely. I wanted to get some opinions from individuals who have worked on Mercury Two Strokes to see if I am missing something. Should the prop spin freely in Neutral? Thanks in advance. - JT

The motor is in gear or partially in gear.

Either a botched water pump service job or an issue with the control/linkage are putting the motor in gear when it should be in neutral.

Could be one of the many (read again - many) issues that led to the motor sitting for over a year.

Any history on the motor/boat? or was it just "get it out of here and it's yours" type of deal?

Given what you have found at this point, before trying to start it again, you really need to go over "everything". This might be a fine motor that just needs a little re-hab. Trying to get it to start before it's ready could turn it into junk.

Grab a manual, take your time, and see what you have here...

Last edited:
Galamb,

Thanks for the info and advice! The boat was basically given to my buddy for a case of beer. The prior owner is out of the country most of the year and going through a divorce........so not really a whole lot of history on the motor. Will probably give it a once over again today and see if anything glaring sticks out. If not, it sounds like he may take it to a local repair shop and let them take a look. - JT

Back