Logo

80HP V4 won't turn over ....

elshermanator

I just got a Johnson Super Seahorse 80hp v4 electric start I think it is a 1966 or 1967 ..
Compression is good. Nothing is seized. Carbs are clean.

At first I thought my low gas tank didn't have enough pressure so I added some w40 to the carb , still didn't turn over. I filled up the tank 2 more gallons. Still no start. Confirmed that gas was pressurized and go to motor. Oil / gas mix ratio at 50:1

I have an electric starter , there seems to be an odd issue with starting from the key ignition so i'm trying to bypass that by connecting the positive & negative on the electric starter which starts up, turns the fly wheel , pully and everything else but still the motor don't fire up and start.

Maybe the ignition coils are bad? But I am getting a spark from the spark plugs. I tested with a voltage meter and it looks strong.

With my other boat I have a 35hp evinrude and there is a kill switch that kills the motor .. I was thinking maybe some wires were crossed somewhere enabling a kill switch on this 80hp? or is that not likely?

I just bought it from someone who said they just took it out and it started up great no problems. I can tell they ran it in the water just recently. They were able to start it the same way by connecting the positive and negative terms on the starter since the key ignition wasn't working. I replaced the key ignition myself and a few other electrical parts after not having any success getting it to turn over but didn't make any difference

I posted a pic of the motor and the starter

any ideas?

outboard:
outboardsehorse80.jpg

electric starter ignition:
outboardstarterseahorse80.jpg

There is one coil in the magneto.------This magneto does not need 12 volts to make the spark, it does that all by itself,---Check to make sure the spark will jump a gap of 5/16" or more.----Perhaps someone had the belt off and did not time it properly on the re-install.

Thanks I have it working now. Not sure what the problem was but all the sudden it decided to start turning over successfully after continuous attempts. It starts up right away now every time. I'm assuming maybe there was buildup in the carb or on the piston .. ? I installed a new key ignition , wasn't sure if the other broken one had something crossed and was enabling a kill circuit ..

Back