Logo

6.0LVortec Marine Power coolant disappearing HELP!

scenicjetboats

So I have an '06 6.0L that I have overheated a couple times ( about 240F) due to blockage of the fresh water in the heat exchanger. Only for a minute or two, might have been slightly longer this last time. This last time found coolant in the bilge from the resivoir overflow. So I refilled and have been running the boat a couple times a week and am having to add a pint or 2 of coolant each time. I ran a stant gauge and show no presure drop at 14lb 10 minutes. I did a cold start with a nice slow rise in presure and no needle fluxuation. So where do I go from here? Oil looks fine. It was suggested a small crack in head that expands with heat but if so is there anotherway to tell without pulling? Help is appreciated.

If you are loosing coolant, and if not from the reservoir or coolant return system leaking, then perhaps a cylinder or two are consuming coolant.

Are you able to smell any Ethylene Glycol in the exhaust?

A gas analyzer can be used to detect Hydrocarbons within the cooling system.

Rick-Thanks for the reply. So from what you are saying I need to either take it in to a marine mechanic (hard to find a good one) with the right tools or find one of these analyzers and check the discharge exhaust after I have ran the boat for a bit?

Rick-Thanks for the reply. So from what you are saying I need to either take it in to a marine mechanic (hard to find a good one) with the right tools or find one of these analyzers and check the discharge exhaust after I have ran the boat for a bit?
A gas analyzer can be used to detect Hydrocarbons within the cooling system.

If there is such a thing as an Ethylene Glycol detector for exhaust gasses, that may work also.

So just to bring anyone reading this thread up to date. The issue ended up being trapped air in one of the risers. There is an air bleeder on the starboard side manifold but not the port, just a plug. I was getting air bleed out of the system while running it but kept screwing with things after running it for a few hours thus letting more air back in. I was at the point of pulling the engine when I thought "hey lets loosen that plug and see what happens" took almost a quart to fill it. In fact with a drained system it takes almost another 1/2 gallon to fill all the air holes. Guess I got lucky and learned a lesson. Thanks to all those that offered help. It was all food for thought and knowledge for me.

Back