Logo

confused

I have a 15hp mercury with a # 1b468399 stamped 2007, but the serial number comes up as a 2006 whats up with that ?
Basically the only way I know to explain why your reading 2006 when you have a 2007 or above engine model is when using a parts catalog system such as the brunswick.com or here on marineengine.com websites where you can input your engine serial number to obtain the engine information like sometimes the year, model number, part diagrams, etc. etc.... The engine model "Year" information provided in the parts catalog/parts fish is only accurate up to early 1998 for mercruiser stern drives while Mercury Outboards are accurate up to 2006. Anything past them years or if you see an M after the 1998 like this for example, (MERCRUISER - (5.0L H.P. (1998M )) Serial No: 0M333475 Model No: 4M11035PS). That M is basically an indication that merc stopped using "model years" as a guide to find parts and they only reference engine serial number breaks in between model years, part design changes, and whatever else is needed as things move along. Hope this makes sense.

Your engine serial number is key to finding information, you never want to lose it.;):)

Example of what boat-tech is saying...i bought a new merc in oct 2011....when i asked if it was a 2011 model or 2012 model i was told that there are no model years anymore...it was just a new merc...

Back