Logo

1984 85hp force running issues

t27countryboy69

Hello everyone,I have a 84 85hp force that starts right up and idles beautifully,I put in in gear and get going and seems like i have hardly any power.At WOT it seems like i am going about a quarter what it should,then out of nowhere it will take off a bat out of heck,then back down again,Then every once in a while will take right off again.Would this be a power pack issue?I know the carbs and fuel pump were just gone over.And it has good compression on all three.Thank you

Easy stuff first. Check all engine wiring for possible shorts to ground or loose connections. Make sure all the plug connectors are clean and tight.

Gas tank vented while running? When under way, does the primer bulb feel like its empty when you squeeze it?

You don't indicate if rpms are up and down. You might mark the prop and spline insert to check for slippage.

Easy stuff first. Check all engine wiring for possible shorts to ground or loose connections. Make sure all the plug connectors are clean and tight.

Gas tank vented while running? When under way, does the primer bulb feel like its empty when you squeeze it?

You don't indicate if rpms are up and down. You might mark the prop and spline insert to check for slippage.

I will check all those things first and repost after the findings,thank you.I do not have a rpm gauge but the motor is not racing when i am in WOT.Just very sluggish.And when the motor catches and goes fast the rpm's pick up considerably.

my '85-85 horse will idle and manually rev fine, but once in gear, it will not run or barely run. I have replaced fuel lines, fuel pump, clamps, plugs, one coil with a bad wire, had the carbs adjusted and replaced the gas hand pump for the tank. I am getting very frustrated. help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Went out after checking everything and found out my number three plug has no spark so i will replace the coil and see what happens.I think that was my whole problem.Thanks for your help.I will repost after i change the coil.

Just change the leads around.
I've been doing this for almost 30 years and never found a bad coil on your type of motor.
Buying a coil might just waste your $$$
Swap the coils around, then swap the packs.
Then try tightening all the connections and replace any that might be susoect.
You have the plug in type connectors.
They sometimes need to be removed and hooked up direct.J

Back