Logo

fuel line

donsense

first thanks for your help on where to hook up my electric on my chokes, the other question I have is , is it coast guard approved to use rubber hose (approved type ) on an inboard engine. as always, thanks for your help.

Google " 33 CFR 183.558 " and then judge for yourself...nothing wrong with A-1 rated hose and good clamps

Correct.
A1-15 hose is approved for use between a 5-7 psi gasoline fuel pump and the carburetor.

I'd recommend that the Euro style band clamps are used.
15b1404-a.jpg

Not the style with the full cuts for the worm screw.
586916646_579.jpg

Make sure that the ID of the clamp matches the OD of the fuel line.

As for double clamping the A1-15 hose.
This is a response from John Adey, the President of the American Boat & Yacht Council (ABYC).

"Yes, the USCG A-1-15 hose can be clamped with a standard hose clamp. (this is where I suggest to use the Euro style for better results)
Make sure you find 100% stainless clamps (including the screw) for corrosion resistance. Make sure that the hose from the pump to the carb. Is routed in such a way as to protect it from engine heat. Generally this connection is made with a metal pipe with flared fittings because of heat issues, make sure this is not an issue on your installation. If it is, you will want a marina (or a good auto shop) to make up this line and connect it for you. It will need to be custom made for the fittings and the bends that need to be used. It should not be a very expensive repair, but could keep the engine from catching on fire should the rubber hose melt on a hot engine."

With ethanol gas crap out there (had LOTS of trouble with it this summer), one has to change in-line filters more often than before. Mine are in a rubber hose, which is more convenient AND reduces the chance for leakage. Flared fittings tend to leak after numerous ON/OFF cycles if the surfaces are not perfect, unlike a clamped rubber hose on a barb.

Jeff

A friendly FYI

Metal encased in-line fuel filters are allowed if they are installed in the suction side of the fuel line.
These are not allowed if installed in the pressure side of the fuel line.... (I.E. from the fuel pump to the carburetor)

Back