Logo

Milky Power Steering Fuild 4.3 Cobra

jsh_omc4.3

I have an 89 omc 4.3L cobra with power steering. Last run on the water, the power steering reservoir slightly overflowed and the fluid was milky / mocha in color. When I run the motor with muffs on my driveway, I notice a slight oil sheen on the water running on the concrete from the lower unit.
Am I correct to assume the oil cooler is toast and needs to be replaced or should something else be checked? The motor does have low hours for being 24+ years old but the oil cooler is original equipment.
Thanks for any advice, James

change fluid in reservoir (turkey baster or vacuum pump), run it, steer, change oil in reservoir again, repeat 5 or 10 times until not milky anymore.

Hope you didn't leave water in the pump for a year. I would probably change the pump or at least plan to if it makes any noise or acts oddly.

Finally got around to replacing the oil cooler, what is the best procedure for purging the system of the contaminated oil?

Ayuh,.... With a Helper,.....

Disconnect the return line from the back of the pump, 'n direct it into a catch can, put a short hose on the return port, as a stand-pipe, something Above the Fill port,....
With a couple quarts of Atf uncapped, 'n nearby, have the wheel turned, full travel, side to side, a couple of cycles,....
You'll be slowly pourin' in fresh oil, as it disappears,...
By then ya should be seein' fresh clean oil returnin' into the catch can,...
It can be done, motor idlin', or Not,...

thanks bondo,

I actually did use your method with motor idling, less the helper, so I haven't been turning the wheel side to side. Didn't know if that was correct, reason for the previous post. Ran two quarts through this past weekend, still milky. I will give it another shot this weekend with a helper. I have been sucking all the fuild out of the pump while the boat sits. I don't think there is another point, other than the cooler, where water can enter the power steeriing system.

New, after market part. Finally started to clear after running 6 quarts of fuild through the system using bondo's method. thanks for everone's input.

Back