Logo

Honda Digital gauges installation

Dogmatrix

Hey all I am installing a set of the honda digital gauges... previously the boat had the faria analog gauges... however I wanted to have acess to km/L and other fuel use data I am only installing the digital speedometer not the digital tacho as I will run the analog tacho's as they are quicker to see/use for me and a lot cheaper! The boat I am installing into is a 8m Haines patriot with twin 225hp engines.

I have the digital speedometer gauge and the 06326-zy-3801 harness and I was of the understanding that I just extend this harness down to the engines where I plug the male bullets into some female connecters... however to throw a spanner in the works on chatting with the honda rep he informed me I will also need to get 2 of the L1299P0625F PGMFI harnesses.

My understanding was that the L1299P0625F PGMFI harnesses go to the throttles... and if so what do they have to do with installing the Speedometer? Is there something I am missing here?

DM

You are WAY over my level of knowledge with the harnesses. I think you need to find a dealer who has a lot of experience rigging theses engines and see what they have to say.

As for the digital speedometer, I don't want to rain on your parade, but I've not been happy with mine. They are difficult to read in bright light and the mode button can get a bit confusing. The speed reading relies on the pitot tube on the front of the engine, which is always getting clogged up. You will quickly find that it is better to install an external pitot tube speed reader on the back of your transom to replace the one on the engine. The good news is that the gauge is very accurate in the fuel metering department. My fuel usage has never been more than +/- 3 gallons on a 100 gallon fill up. Those readings will also allow you to chart your speed against RPM and GPH to find your optimum (most fuel efficient) cruising speed.

Hey Chawk_man, the whole purpose of buying the meter is just for the fuel/hr/km reading ;) I will be using the GPS for speed and am more then happy the original gauges for everything else... :)

Back