Logo

Interchangeable Powerheads

thebubba

Regular Contributor
I just picked up a 2001 Mercury 50 hp 3 cylinder 2 stroke with oil injection for $400. The power head threw a rod so it is trashed. I would prefer to fix this one and use on my boat, but I can't seem to find a used powerhead that isn't $2000. I did find one for $800 but I don't know if it will work. It is for a 1991 to 1997 50 / 55 / 60 hp motor. Does anyone know which years and horsepower models will fit my motor? I hear 1998 to 2007 40 and 50 hp engines are the same. Is there any other years? Thanks for your help in advance, I may just need to part it out if I can't find an affordable replacement.

I quickly compared the driveshaft and the exhaust housing - both are identical, so should bolt right up.

It looks like the 94 1/2 and newer 40 and 50 horse (3 cylinders) shared parts (looks like up until 2005 when US became restricted - don't know exactly when Merc ran out of EPA points in the US and pulled the 50 from the market - it was one of the last 3, 50/90/150EFI, 2 strokes still sold new in the US) and most likely until 2012 when the model completely discontinued (can't see them re-engineering the whole thing simply for export sales).

You haved to be careful as if replacement power head is off a bigfoot motor the crank and spline count is different.....

Back