Logo

broken exhaust bolt, thermostat working?

Beagleman

Regular Contributor
Whats up guys. You guys are so awesome that I decided to hit you up for advice again. I got a 40 hp mariner (40 E 6E9 s 104752), 1985 2 cylinder outboard. Basically a copy of those old Yamaha fm series.

Here's my quandry, a head of a bolt on the exhaust panel (port side of motor when mounted on boat, attached to cylinder head) was twisted off. Its on of the middle/inside ones (as in not around the edge), and only a bit gone from it. However, some water is trickling out at idle. So, do I have to extract that bolt or is JB weld worth a shot? Or will jb weld hurt anything?

BTW, I just replaced the stat with one I found on another motor. So, if the motor and water coming out of tell tale hose stays cool even after thirty seconds of having the motor running (and water coming out of bolt hole) does that mean my thermostat is functioning properly?

Thanks for everything before, and in advance guys.

RObby

Last edited:
You need to extract/drill that bolt and replace either by rethreading for a bigger bolt or helicoil.The JB weld won't hurt anything but you would only be deferring the problem.
Put your hand on top of the block for a while,a couple of minutes,and if you can hold it there without cooking the palm of your hand,you're looking good.

You need to extract/drill that bolt and replace either by rethreading for a bigger bolt or helicoil.The JB weld won't hurt anything but you would only be deferring the problem.
Put your hand on top of the block for a while,a couple of minutes,and if you can hold it there without cooking the palm of your hand,you're looking good.

Thanks for help man.

-Can jb weld do any damage?
-It's only a little trickle of water coming out of we're the head of the bolt was. So, could I leave it be, if so will it hurt anything?

Oh, btw, do you know we're I can get a tiller handle to fit that motor?

Several videos on youtube for mig welding smaller nuts to broken bolt / studs for removal.
Also could try a good penetrating oil and a hi speed (air [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]is [COLOR=blue !important]best[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]) engraver to "jackhammer" the bolt out.
Easy outs need to be centered in the broken stud and sized correctly for best results.
If they break sometimes they can be chipped out in small pieces with a center punch. Got to be lucky.
progress.gif

If you're handy with a mig this is a good option as not only do you put a hex nut on,the heat from the weld can break the bolt loose.

Whats up guys. You guys are so awesome that I decided to hit you up for advice again. I got a 40 hp mariner (40 E 6E9 s 104752), 1985 2 cylinder outboard. Basically a copy of those old Yamaha fm series.

Here's my quandry, a head of a bolt on the exhaust panel (port side of motor when mounted on boat, attached to cylinder head) was twisted off. Its on of the middle/inside ones (as in not around the edge), and only a bit gone from it. However, some water is trickling out at idle. So, do I have to extract that bolt or is JB weld worth a shot? Or will jb weld hurt anything?

BTW, I just replaced the stat with one I found on another motor. So, if the motor and water coming out of tell tale hose stays cool even after thirty seconds of having the motor running (and water coming out of bolt hole) does that mean my thermostat is functioning properly?

Thanks for everything before, and in advance guys.

RObby

Is this the same engine that you broke the side off the stat housing? Did you test the replacement stat in a pan of water with the string to ensure it was working?

On the bolt, water pressure is seldom much over 10 psig. You can easily hold against that pressure with your little finger. If you clean the bolt and water jacket cover around it so that you can get a good bond JB will seal it and won't hurt a thing. Lot less risk than replacing the bolt which means to do it right you have to take the whole cover off to do the oversize drill/tap work and risk breaking off more bolts. All these bolts are doing is holding the water jacket cover on. IF you JB weld it and it doesn't hold it's epoxy. Grind it off and chase after the broken bolt. But you might succeed and not have to go through the removal, possible oversize hole, helical-coil insertion and new bolt.

Mark

Is this the same engine that you broke the side off the stat housing? Did you test the replacement stat in a pan of water with the string to ensure it was working?

On the bolt, water pressure is seldom much over 10 psig. You can easily hold against that pressure with your little finger. If you clean the bolt and water jacket cover around it so that you can get a good bond JB will seal it and won't hurt a thing. Lot less risk than replacing the bolt which means to do it right you have to take the whole cover off to do the oversize drill/tap work and risk breaking off more bolts. All these bolts are doing is holding the water jacket cover on. IF you JB weld it and it doesn't hold it's epoxy. Grind it off and chase after the broken bolt. But you might succeed and not have to go through the removal, possible oversize hole, helical-coil insertion and new bolt.

Mark

thanks mark. This is not the same motor as the stat housing cracked. I'll try jb weld. In the event the other motor has a bit of water leaking out the stat housing, will that hurt anything? Same question goes for this exhaust bolt (I.e. if I jb weld it and I get a vita leakage, is that a big deal?

thanks

robby

I told you what to do about the broken casting on the stat housing. Am I wasting my time and breath on trying to help you. Seems so!

I think you scared him away :)

Well, you can chase the paper trail. I spent a lot of time and thought in helping him. I sit here for several days waiting for some kind of response as to how my suggestions helped him or didn't. What went wrong and my thinking was what do I have to do to correct it .

By God the least the little sucker can do is answer my querries! If you have a problem with that then too bad!!!!!!!!!!

I started to question what he was doing...buying junked engines and slapping on a bandaid and selling to the unsuspecting. I'll help anyone who is honest and up front about their engines. Maybe he's sick and laid up.

I did too. Thought maybe he got a job as a mechanic and was in over his head since we had 3 different engines all of a sudden. What nobody else saw was the PMs that he sent me for advice he didn't want on here or didn't want any other opinions.

Regardless, none of my business what he was/is doing. I went out of my way to help the guy and the least he could do was to keep me informed or tell me how it went when he was finished.

Like this is nothing but a guessing game. The problem is there we are here. We know only what we are fed. We have experience and training and an intellect and free will. We do the best we can at helping others solve their problems with minimal or disinformation a lot of times.

Feedback reinforces your mindset that you are on the right track and not just smoking dope so that when the next similar problem comes in you jump on it or just let it sit and rot.....if everyone else has the same mindset for the same reason!

My 2c,
Mark

You aren't the only one to recieve PMs. It was frustrating to offer sound advice and see it ignored. Case closed for me.

I think he migrated to iboats Merc/Mariner forum. I asked the new poster there by the name of "Mercniac" if he was Robby and the post has gone ignored by all but me.

Back