Logo

Honda 8hp Outboard cuts out unexpectedly

kapperde

I have an older Honda 8 hp that was just serviced less than 3 months ago. I use it to power a 23' Pocket cruiser Sailboat. I have had it out a couple of times this summer, and the motor will eventually start, but then die on me. I then tested it back home, and it ran fine. I hooked it up to a small row boat to test it, and got out in the middle of the lake (running fine I might add), and after about 10-15 minutes, the engine just died. It was as though it was starving for gas. I squeezed off the bulb again to fill it, and it started up - ran for about 1 minute and died again. I did notice that the bulb never got really difficult to squeeze as it is when it is disconnected from the engine. I am using a plastic gas can with a bulb activated gas line. Any thoughts?

Open the drain of the carburetor and drain the fuel into a clear container. Any water? Any debris?

If not....any fuel? Leave the drain open, and squeeze the fuel bulb and see if the fuel flows out of the drain. If it does not....faulty bulb, collapsed or kinked hose, bad fuel pickup, bad vent, clogged fuel filter....you get the picture.

Will the motor keep running if you pull the choke out a little (or a lot)?

A few things to try and check.

Mike

Your description KINDA SORTA indicates carb problems. Do what hondadude suggests (ALWAYS a good idea to follow HIS advice) and see what happens.

If I'm interpreting what you state correctly...you can squeeze your primer bulb with the line disconnected from the engine and it gets hard. BUT, it never gets firm when connected to the outboard...correct? If so, that is a pretty BIG clue.

You don't see ANY fuel leaking UNDER THE HOOD?

Jgmo - The bulb is hard when not attached, but never does when connected. At one point when I squeezed it out on the lake, it squirted out the overflow. I will check the fuel drain like Hondadude suggested and see what happens. More to come.

Well, it sounds like you may have a carb issue.....if it squirts out the overflow (actually the carb bowl vent). Your float is stuck open.

If you check your spark plugs, one or both of them are probably black from running too rich.

Although things like compression and spark should be checked, it sounds like the carb needs to be disassembled and cleaned with specific attention given to the float valve.

Mike

I agree with hondadude that you have a sticky float. When you pump up the primer bulb, it should get hard and the float chamber should pressurize and not allow fuel to come out of the vent. A sticky float usually indicates the carburetor needs cleaning.

I agree with hondadude that you have a sticky float. When you pump up the primer bulb, it should get hard and the float chamber should pressurize and not allow fuel to come out of the vent. A sticky float usually indicates the carburetor needs cleaning.

Hi guys, I am in a similar situation... is running a while an then just dies. it starts right away after it dies, it may run 1 min or 5 min and dies again. Can't find anything, all looks like new and it has not more than 30 hrs worked.
is it possible to fix it at home or need a tech?
Thanks

Hi Serge26.
Welcome.

It would be better for you if you started a new thread listing your outboard, the frame number (if you have it) and if it is electric start, pull start or both. Give a detailed description of what you are experiencing as in...it starts easily and has plenty of power...or...it is hard to start but when it gets running it has good power but then dies....that sort of "story".

You will get MANY more readers and that always increases the possibility of someone having a solution for you.

Hi Serge26.
Welcome.

It would be better for you if you started a new thread listing your outboard, the frame number (if you have it) and if it is electric start, pull start or both. Give a detailed description of what you are experiencing as in...it starts easily and has plenty of power...or...it is hard to start but when it gets running it has good power but then dies....that sort of "story".

You will get MANY more readers and that always increases the possibility of someone having a solution for you.

Hi...
it is a Honda 8HP 2009 short shaft BAAJ 10004209, pull start.
It starts easily, runs full of power and after a few minutes start to run like is missing gas or sinking. I have changed the gas tank, the fuel line original, new gas.
Just cannot grasp what might be the problem.

Well, I guess you don't know what a "NEW THREAD" is.....but anyway,

Sounds EXACTLY like you don't have your fuel tank vent open all the way. Run it with the tank cap on just loosely and see if the problem persists. If it goes away, you have a tank venting problem.

One other thing that can happen with these is the fuel line connector at the engine gets worn and doesn't allow a "full flow" of fuel. Look at that very carefully. Unplug the fuel line at the engine, inspect the pin and ball in the connector and then, when plugging it back in, make sure that it goes together smoothly and latches firmly. If it wiggles side to side easily when grasped between your thumb and forefinger, it may not be making a good connection and will need replacing. Vibration is what causes these to wear even though it may not seem possible.

If this isn't a venting issue or connector problem then try pulling out the choke about 1/4 the way when it starts to "bog down" and see what it does. If it makes it run better, then it is starving for fuel and that would take us down a different path.

Back