Logo

2004 bf150 alarm

clockwork

Just picked up a GW sailfish with twin 2004 honda 150s with 248hrs. Took it for a shakedown cruise and all was well cruising arounduntil I tried WOT noticed it kept listing hard to port. port engine was lagging behind, I slowed down and the 1 second intermittent alarm started going so I shut it down. The warning lights all come on during startup but turn off and none of them show red even though the alarm is sounding. Engine starts up fine but kept up the alarm whenever I started it after that. any ideas, I kind of blew my wad on the boat, dont have a lot of reserve for repairs. These should be good runners at 250hrs.

First of all...you said all of the warning lights come on when you turn the key switch to on....

How many lights does each motor have? Should be four each....total of eight.

The one light that should be on, when the motor is running is the green oil pressure light.

If it is an oil pressure or overheat, the alert would be a solid alarm, so it most likely is not either of those.

The only alert that sounds without any lights (other than the oil light) is water in the water separator on the engine. The alert would be a rapid alert, faster than 1 second intervals.

Mike

has 4 red lights for each motor. the green oil light is the one light that stays on. one of the red lights appears to be for water based on the symbol next to it.

i found out the P.O. may have lied to me about the age of the gas and later admitted it was 2 years old although it was non ethanol dock gas and with stabil. would the pgmfi alarm go if i had a fouled injector? seems like its the pgm fi alarm. is there a way to get codes without the tools? any advice on what to do next? Thanks.

I do not think a fouled injector would, in itself, cause the pgmfi alarm. It might cause some other sensor to be out of range, thus causing the alarm.

You can check for alarms by shorting out two leads on the red service connector on the port side of your motor. As I sit here, I can not tell you which ones for sure. I generally do not use the shorting plug on this motor....usually the HDS or Dr H.

There are four leads on the SCS connector and if you short the wrong ones, it could damage the ECM.

We have a couple of 150's in for service. I will try to check tomorrow.

In the meantime, hopefully, someone else will jump in with the info.

Mike

turned out to be water in the gas. drained the VST didnt have any water in there but there was a little in the cup filter and the separator was full. what is wierd is that they are supposedly running off the same tank but the other engine has no water in the separator. also wierd is that the alarm seemed to have been the 1 second interval alarm rather than the rapid beep that the manual describes. thanks for the help.

also i called a shop for the fault code procedure told me this motor cannot produce fault codes through shorting the plug and getting flashing lights. is this true? i do have the red plug but the wire colors and positions are not the same as i've seen posted by chawk-man and others.

I don't want to say that they are wrong...but....they are not correct. That is more polite.

Shorting the light green wire with the black will give you the fault codes. See the picture with the shorting plug. I tried to be sure you could see the colors, the wire on the shorting plug and the number on the shorting plug, if anyone wanted to order one.

2013-09-12 09.08.28.jpg

Mike

Back