Logo

BF75 carb drain question

JackB1

I have a Honda BF75 carbed outboard. I always use the carb drains when winterizing but would like some advice on how long I can leave the boat in season without having to drain the carbs. The manual just states how to drain them not any time intervals. I use non ethanol fuel and fuel treatment. Most of the time I would say the interval is about 2 weeks when it might sit. Sometimes the interval will change due to circumstances and draining the carbs, while not all that bad, is a pain.

I think you should be ok at 2 weeks but I wouldn't push it too far. Because, if draining them is a pain, think about having to take them off and clean them out.

I tell most folks I work with 1 week but those are smaller outboards and it is MUCH easier to do the chore on them than it is on your 75.

Thanks for the reply. Here is a related question. I notice that after a few days I can pump up the fuel with bulb again. Is that because fuel is evaporating from carb bowls, draining back into system or what? My real question here is whether pumping the fuel bulb up after a period of days is good practice and would possibly save having to drain carbs? Just what is the fear will happen in carbs with fuel a few weeks old,,,,,,gum???? I run a 10 micron filter and keep fuel stabilized with PRI-G. It is just hard to believe that regular fuel that is stabilized will cause problems in a few weeks.

I will try to address your questions...

I am not sure why the fuel bulb has to be squeezed after a few days. Could be a combination of evaporation and draining. Theoretically, if the squeeze bulb (check valves working perfectly), has its arrow pointing up vertically and there is an anti-syphen valve in your fuel tank feed, nothing should leak back to the tank. It happens on almost all that I see.

One way to check to see which it might be.....disconnect the fuel line. The check valve in the engine fuel connector should keep any fuel from leaking out. If you still need to pump it up after that, then it might just be evaporation. Or...it could be something that neither one of us have thought of.

It is an interesting thought ....about squeezing the bulb every few days. That might help, but if the fuel is really evaporating, then there could be a tiny bit of sediment accumulated over time with each resqueeze.

So much for the theory stuff...

The good news....is that you are using PRI-G, which is good stuff.

In reality, because you are using it, you could probably continue to do what you are doing. However, I do agree with Jimmy and say the same thing to all of our customers (who we preach to about PRI-G).....if you are not going to use your motor for a couple of weeks, run the motor out of fuel and drain the carburetors.

Will the carbs get gooed up if you do not....probably not. But...what happens, if you or a loved one gets ill and you can not get to the boat for several months? Yep! Life sometimes gets in the way.

Bottom line, it is just being extra cautious. I hope you noticed that I recommend running the motor out of fuel first...then drain the carbs. Draining the carbs then only requires a rag. The top carb will have a drop or two, the #2 a little more, #3 a little more and the most out of the bottom. All of which can be adsorbed in a paper towel or rag.

You can also make draining easier, if you get some of the clear hose, used on the bottom carb and cut some pieces for each of the other carbs...thus easy access to all of the drains.

Having a set of these carbs cleaned and balanced properly, with new o rings, jet sets, etc can cost in the neighborhood of $800 - $900.

Being cautious, being cheap, being smart....whatever reason, if you drain them, the motor will be ready to go whenever you want to use it.

Mike

I really don't need to expound on what Mike has written and....I won't.

Overcoming customer's doubts or belief systems..."I really can't believe that can happen"... usually only truly takes place when they ultimately get "burned" and then, ultimately, handed the repair bill.

Falls under the heading:
ASK THE EXPERT AND THEN IGNORE HIM.

It's even happened to me a time or two and, boy! I couldn't believe it!

Back