Logo

need help with swivel bracket service

JeffA

Have a 50hp 4 cylinder 2 stroke mercury serial# 0A131197 (1985?) with play in swivel bracket. wondering if anyone have info on disassembly for servicing ?

It's not rocket science, but it's a step by step process to tear it all down. Not something that can be explained in a few lines here - you really need (at least) a Seloc's manual.

What is usually the most difficult part is getting bolts/nuts to move in the first place. They are dis-similar metals there (steel bolts in aluminum parts). So your 1985 built (sold as the new 1986 model) motor bracket has been quietly "welding" itself together for 28'ish years now.

I have serviced brackets on motors of that age. I ended up cutting off, grinding off, drilling out etc and replacing a bit of hardware in order to reassemble.

Not trying to scare you off, but would suggest that you really consider whether or not you live with a little "slop" in the bracket, because while you might get it apart fairly easily, I have personally never had that kind of luck.

I do have a pdf file from a newer model showing the components and assembly/dis-assembly instructions that I would be glad to pass along. It won't be exact to your model, but can decide from there if it's something you want to undertake.

If you want it simply drop me an email ([email protected]) - make the subject something obvious (like motor bracket - I sometimes get quite a few requests on various items so that helps me keep it straight).

Back