Logo

Cannot find where to insert exhaust water tube when lowering powerhead - 1987 15hp

SeaPair

I have been searching and searching but have not found the answer so I am hoping someone here can help me out.
I am ready to lower my power head on my 87 Johnson 15 but am not sure where the smaller (exiting water) water tube should be guided.

The manual says:
On 15 hp models, guide the small water tube
into the opening at the rear of the exhaust
housing.

BUT that could be the big opening or the small oval shaped opening..I know water is supposed to flow into the exhaust area to help cool things down so this position will be important.

Can someone please tell me which hole to insert this small water tube into.
Option A..or B in the attached photo.

Thank you.
exhaust-tube.jpg

I am just looking at the diagram, but in his picture that rectangular hole is on the back of the motor and in the parts diagram that little tube #53 and the water tube #54 seem to be positioned towards the front of the motor. Towards the motor mounts that are opposite the little rectangular hole.

I have repaired / own more than one of these motors !--The short tube is at the back and goes into the rectangular hole.

I am just looking at the diagram, but in his picture that rectangular hole is on the back of the motor and in the parts diagram that little tube #53 and the water tube #54 seem to be positioned towards the front of the motor. Towards the motor mounts that are opposite the little rectangular hole.

That was one of the reasons I was concerned with this...sure looks different to me as well.

I have repaired / own more than one of these motors !--The short tube is at the back and goes into the rectangular hole.

I thank you much...needed to hear this from someone who has indeed owned or worked on a couple of these.
Can't believe this one was so hard to find an answer to...and I do take pictures before I take things a part but with one set of hands was unable to do so this time while raising power head.

Thanks again.

Back