Logo

Where to find the serial number on a 25 hp 2 stroke Mercury

gymoese

I'm considering buying a used Mercury 25 Hp 2 stroke engine, however the engine have lost the serial number tag on the leg, so I don't know what the serial number is. I have a 15 Hp 2 stroke Mercury already, and on this engine the serial number is both printed on the tag on the leg and then inside the engine on the cylinder block, however this does not seems to be the case for the 25 Hp engine.

Does anyone know if it is possible to find the engine serial number on a Mercury 25 Hp 2 stroke engine anywhere else than on the tag on the leg of the engine?

got the same problem,think its a 50hp,took of the carbs,and they are marked wma6-1 and wma6-3 and 10/86 any help,got a number of the transom bracket,a396e27

I don't see a serial number there. A picture of the hood would help nail it down to within a couple of years.

From what I do see I'm thinking 1984/85 maybe 86 - the hood would definitely help with that even if you never find a serial.

Mechanically, the 25 was built the same for a few different "runs" lasting a few years. As an example, an 88 and 93 25 horse were mechanically identical (and every year in between), so getting the "exact" year is only necessary if your "locale" requires an exact year for registration...

If the motor was originally purchased "local" in the UK I would suspect that it would have been built by Merc in Belgium.

The serial number will be 7 digits (all numbers) starting with a 9 (nine).

While that number on the block, coincidentally, begins with a nine there are not enough digits and the preceding trinome indicates that it's a block casting part number.

The only other location on small mercs where I have seen the serial, besides the plate, is stamped into a welsh plug, usually on the water jacket (not apparent in the pics you have posted). That may have been particular to the North American built merc's - I have never actually seen a Belgian or Aussie built merc.

Should have added.

What I can (sort of see) in the pic is the horsepower sticker just below the lower cowl on the upper part of the exhaust housing.

What I can't see, partially because I'm colour blind (need high quality colour in a pic to pick out the subtle grayscale contrast to "figure" what colour it actually is) and partially because the pic is not specifically focused on that area I can not tell what the band colours are on the stripe above/below the 25.

If those stripes are BROWN the motor is an 84 or 85 model.

If those stripes are RED then it's an 86-89 model.

Then if they are red and the top cowl is "flat" topped, that would cut it to 86/87. If the top cowl (hood) is "sloped" from back to front, it would be an 88/89 model.

In any event, whether it's an 84 or 85 OR 86 thru 89, the parts swapped back and forth between model years (pre-86 or post-86 respectively)...

Thanks for all the hard work on help finding the serial number - it seems like finding the serial number is probably not going to be possible, however finding the model year might be and as this is equally fine for finding spareparts this is also a great help.

Here is a picture of the engine and the cowl - perhaps there are some last bids on whether it is a 85, 86 or perhaps something else (o;

Mercury 25 hp.jpg

My bet would be an 86 - and if it isn't, it certainly "could" be.

I would call it 86 and the "parts will fit"...

Back