Logo

BF150 Trim Gauges

daspence

I have two 2004 BF150A's and one of my trim gauges has never worked. It is pretty easy to just turn my head and see if they are at the same level, and the troubleshooting of these looks like a major pain. Is there any reason that I should really care.

On a separate note one of my motors creaks and groans when I raise it above running level. I grease it regularly, but I think the guy who owned it before did not. Should I try pushing a lot of grease into it at different trim levels? Any other ideas. Is this sound like a serious thing, requiring repair?

First thing to do is to make sure your hydraulic fluid level in the tilt/trim reservoir is topped off. Tilt motor all the way up, engage the manual lock up, open reservoir cap and check level. Add fluid as necessary. Disengage manual lock up and work motor full down to full up four our five times. Lock it in up position again, wait about 10 minutes for any air bubbles to work their way to the top, and check level again. If it needs more fluid, top it off again and repeat procedure. Make sure all the grease fittings on the t/t plate are greased well. While you are doing this look for any leaks around the hydraulic cylinders.

As for the gauges, switch the wires going to each gauge and see if the previously non-working gauge works, and the previously working gauge stops working. If so, you likely have a loose, stuck, disconnected, or broken sending unit. Lock the motor in the up position find the t/t sending arm and determine which problem you have and fix or replace. Usually its pretty simple process. If switching the wires doesn't activate the nonworking gauge, then you will need to replace the gauge.

Back