Logo

2009 Volvo Penta 300 5.7gi-j intermittent overheating

Lost boys

Purchased it new, so i know its past. Seems to run fine at lower RPM's but will overheat when at 2800 to 3000 RPM's. (200+ with alarm) The boat is trailered and is always flushed after each use. On advice of the marina that services it each winter , I have replaced the thermostat the sea water pump and checked hoses & clamps. Removed drain plugs for block and exahust manifold. Found some small debris, but nothing to talk about. And yet I still have a problem. PLEASE HELP!!

Purchased it new, so i know its past. Seems to run fine at lower RPM's but will overheat when at 2800 to 3000 RPM's. (200+ with alarm) The boat is trailered and is always flushed after each use. On advice of the marina that services it each winter , I have replaced the thermostat the sea water pump and checked hoses & clamps. Removed drain plugs for block and exahust manifold. Found some small debris, but nothing to talk about. And yet I still have a problem. PLEASE HELP!!

Have you checked your manifolds and risers for corrosion?

Found the problem. The raw water hose that connects to the outdrive attaches to a plastic fitting threaded into the gimble housing. The plastic had a crack about 3/4 of the way around it. Due to its location, it is almost impossible to see. It was only by chance I found this. Had to remove the drive to repair but at least it's fixed. Thank for the suggestion.

Back