Logo

Need help with 1990 90hp force

According to my marine mechanic I have exhaust coming up thru the shift rod hole in my motor. It is being sucked into the carb breather compartment and the engine stalls at idle. With the cowl on it will stall when shifting from neutral to forward gear. It"s not as bad with the cowl off. If I keep blowing the smoke away from the air intake it will stay running. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Tony

Last edited:
Sounds like he's partially right??
For the exhaust to come from the tiny hole and go up into the cowl would be almost impossible!
You might have an exhaust problem but need to look someplace else.
The rubber boot inside the rear cover?
The seal between the power head and the base?
Take the cowl off and check inside to see if there isin't an exhaust leak inside?
Both of my motors,the rubber bellows, the clamp rusted away and both started leaking into the cowl.

Sounds like he's partially right??
For the exhaust to come from the tiny hole and go up into the cowl would be almost impossible!
You might have an exhaust problem but need to look someplace else.
The rubber boot inside the rear cover?
The seal between the power head and the base?
Take the cowl off and check inside to see if there isin't an exhaust leak inside?
Both of my motors,the rubber bellows, the clamp rusted away and both started leaking into the cowl.

There is quite a bit of exhaust smoke coming up from somewhere, I couldn't see for sure. The mechanic said it was from the shift rod hole. He said that he dealt with a problem like that once before and it was very time consuming getting to the problem. Can you post any pics of the areas you're talking about. Thanks Jerry, Tony

There are no identifying numbers on my motor so I don't know exactly what model I have. What part numbers could be causing my leaking exhaust. I'm not very mechanically inclined. Thanks Dave, Tony

The models a similar. If you open the motor leg link, take a look at parts #1, #5, and #24. Not saying this is your issue, but if there is a breach in the components the exhaust pressure will try to find the path of least resistance, possibly up into the cowl.

Thanks Dave, I found the parts you're talking about. Jerry, is part#5 the one you're saying was a problem on both your motors. How long should I expect it to take to replace those parts. Did you replace the boots or just the clamps. Thanks guys for helping someone who doesn't have a clue. Tony

#7 was my problem.
Go to the power head and look at 53 and under 67 is a silicone seal that goes out too.
Take the cowl off and start it and look for the exhaust leak.

I took the boat out yesterday and took the cowl off. The exhaust smoke seem to be coming up from the area below the starter. There are too many wires and stuff in the way to tell exactly where the leak is. Any other thoughts or suggestions. Thanks, Tony

Forgot to mention that the rubber boot and clamp were in great condition. What do you guys think about the idea of trying to mount an exhaust fan of some sort? Thanks for any suggestions. Tony

The fan idea? Gonna be tough mounting something.
Your best bet is figure out where it's coming from.
Usually the gasket gives out at the rear of the motor.

Not a through prop exhaust.
That didn't come out for another year or 2.
If the exhaust was plugged? It wouldn't run.
Does the lower unit still have the exhaust snout still on the lower?

I see no exhaust coming from the rear portion of the motor. Seems to be originating from the starter side. The snout? Are you talking about the part used as a trim tab? It is on there. Thanks, Tony

Back