Logo

Hello! Need assistance identifying "Force" motor

Lord Helmet

Hi, all.

My wife and I purchased our first boat two days ago. It's supposedly a 1988 Bayliner with what the guy told me was a 130 hp Force motor. Theres no tags on the motor anywhere. Fom what I've been reading online, there wasn't a Force 130 so I can only guess maybe its a 125. A PO reprinted the boat along with the motor cover making this even more difficult.

On the cylinder block there ara two stamps:

581 stamped to the top of the motor
K493274 is stamped on the backside of the motor on the blblocky hose are the only two number I can find on this thing.

Can someone help me identify this motor? I don't want to use it until I know what it is so that I can get the fuel mixture correct.

Thanks a ton in advance!

Heres a few pics to help!

null_zps623a359f.jpg

null_zps3ca0d291.jpg

null_zpsb57370ee.jpg

null_zps7b88d8b4.jpg

Well, while cleaning the motor I found the tag on the inside of the housing on the bottom towards the front. Turns out its a1984 85hp. Not even remotely close to what I thought I had but you know what they say.... Buyer beware. I was not. lol

Is that a decent motor? Due to the type of purchase I was not able to water test it but it does run. Anything I should do or look for on this thing?

I have 2 88/85's on my boat.
Both run great.
Yours has the updated packs and coils(good).
Do a compression and spark test.
Set the carbs at 1 turn out.
Don't remove the screw on the side of the lower unit.
It's a hinge pin and you can cause big problems if removed.
The oil drain plug is on the bottom.
Looks like someone's done a lot of work.Grease/oil on the moving parts.

Thanks everyone. Took it out today and it ran great. I was a little hard to start and I had to fiddle with the choke manually but after that, it ran great all day. That was until we figured out that the motor as not ccompletely tight on the transom. We called it a day after that. Also, the little clamp that holds the motor in the up position would not move to clamp it in, I can't figure out why but the motor had lowered down by the time I got home. The power trim does not work.

The T/T looks like it's a bunch of parts put together.
The lock bar?? It shouldn't be used with power T/T.
That's a trailering bar.
Lift the motor and take some pics of the stuff under the mid section.

Here's some photos of the mid section with the motor proped up on the bar. You can see the clip that previously swung down and kept the motor from falling off the bar but I cannot get this clip to move anymore. I previously used this to hold the motor up when i brought it home and it was fine. On the left side there is another latch mechanism that holds the motor up higher but I was afraid that a hard enough bump in the road would make that bounce out so I assumed that isn't what that is for. I figured that was for hooding the whole motor out of the water if necessary.

Im not sure why that clip won't move anymore.

null_zps65d32757.jpg

null_zps0dd1eedd.jpg

null_zps7758a38f.jpg

You have a TILT only.
It's for tilting only.
You can use it for SLOW speed travel only.
Otherwise you'll break something.
Someone added that after it was purchased.
You can use the trailer bar(sorry)

You have a TILT only.
It's for tilting only.
You can use it for SLOW speed travel only.
Otherwise you'll break something.
Someone added that after it was purchased.
You can use the trailer bar(sorry)

So the tilt only is not to be used while under way, correct? Also, the trailer bar is the one that the motor is proped up on in the pic, correct? Any idea why that clamp will not move anymore? I did not see anything blocking it.

Back