Logo

Need help with a Mercruiser 260 with a chevy 350 and a Mallory distributor and how to hook it up.

I am working on a boat with a Mercuriser 260 with a chevy 350 and distributor went bad and I am trying to replace it with a Mallory distributor but I desperately need a wiring diagram or someone who can tell me how to hook it up. Can you please help. Thanks so much for any help you can give.

Michelle,
The Mallory YLM 624 AV is magnet triggering.
The Mallory YLU 624 AV is photo eye triggering.

Both use a mechanical advancing system, whereas the Merc TB is an EST system (electronic spark timing).

Here's a wiring diagram for the YLM and the YLU series.

As you can see, either of these distributors can use resisted or non-resisted voltage for the triggering unit.
The coil that you choose will determine whether or not it (the coil) receives resisted or non-resisted voltage.

Now if you want to stay with an EST system in a Mallory, you'll need to go with the MAL 9-26700 YLE Series Electronic Distributor.
Or kit MAL 9-26001

Best to begin with #1 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke.
Remove the TB system, install the Mallory with the rotor aiming towards the physical location of #1 cylinder.... (although not mandated).
Connect the wiring and connect the spark plug wires into the cap using the correct firing order.

Place a spark plug lead directly into the high tension socket at the coil.... or use the cap socket for #1.
Slip a spark plug in this lead, and give it a good neg source to the engine block.

Turn the ignition key ON, and rotate the distributor housing CCW until you see one spark event at the plug electrode.
Do this several times until you get a feel for it so that you can stop rotating the moment that you see a spark.
Once it feels right, gently lock the housing clamp down.

This will place your BASE timing close enough to fire up on.
Once up and running, immediately set your BASE advance.

When the engine warms up, strobe your timing marks and check the progressive advance and the total advance as you increase RPM.

Last edited:
Ricardo I went to my local NAPA parts store to get the distributor and they also sold me an ignition control module. After reading your post I looked on NAPAs web site and noticed there is an ignition control module and a spark control module. Am I correct in understanding I need the spark control module? Thanks so much for your help.
Michelle,
The Mallory YLM 624 AV is magnet triggering.
The Mallory YLU 624 AV is photo eye triggering.

Both use a mechanical advancing system, whereas the Merc TB is an EST system (electronic spark timing).

Here's a wiring diagram for the YLM and the YLU series.

As you can see, either of these distributors can use resisted or non-resisted voltage for the triggering unit.
The coil that you choose will determine whether or not it (the coil) receives resisted or non-resisted voltage.

Now if you want to stay with an EST system in a Mallory, you'll need to go with the MAL 9-26700 YLE Series Electronic Distributor.
Or kit MAL 9-26001

Best to begin with #1 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke.
Remove the TB system, install the Mallory with the rotor aiming towards the physical location of #1 cylinder.... (although not mandated).
Connect the wiring and connect the spark plug wires into the cap using the correct firing order.

Place a spark plug lead directly into the high tension socket at the coil.... or use the cap socket for #1.
Slip a spark plug in this lead, and give it a good neg source to the engine block.

Turn the ignition key ON, and rotate the distributor housing CCW until you see one spark event at the plug electrode.
Do this several times until you get a feel for it so that you can stop rotating the moment that you see a spark.
Once it feels right, gently lock the housing clamp down.

This will place your BASE timing close enough to fire up on.
Once up and running, immediately set your BASE advance.

When the engine warms up, strobe your timing marks and check the progressive advance and the total advance as you increase RPM.

Mallory distributor part is VLE624AV and it appears to be a Mallory ignition.

Did you mean YLE??? That's the EST type replacement made by mallory...it should have the module in it if you bought the complete distributor...

What you need will be driven by what TYPE of distributor was installed in the engine to start with....swapping a factory EST for a new one should be plug and play...

If you are replacing a TB-IV with an EST type, it becomes a bit more involved...

If you don't know what type you are starting with, a picture is worth a thousand words...

What you need will be driven by what TYPE of distributor was installed in the engine to start with.... .
I must respectfully disagree.
If you are wanting to do a complete change, it's doable.... but as Mark says, a bit more complex.

If you purchase the MAL 9-26001 kit, instructions should be included.

BTW, this is not only EST, I believe that this is also HEI.

EST = electronic spark timing
HEI = high energy ignition

Last edited:
Back