Logo

engine replacement!!!!

ms434

Ok guys little info here please.. Just bought a 1986 Bayliner 19ft Capri, Volvo Aq131a 4 banger, 275OD. After some advice from you guys on setting idle and figuring out the combination of how many times to pump the throttle to get it to start she is really running very very good. Now the question! 25 to 30 mph is all I can get out of her, she planes pretty quickly, 14x19 Volvo oem prop on her. Just wondering if I want to or have to replace the engine what are my options? Will a 4.3 or a 5.0 fit in her or maybe a 3.0 four?????? Just wondering just in case
Thanks in advance.

Your best bet will be to find out what's wrong with the AQ 131, and get it working again. These are good little engines, and it should scoot a 19 footer right along.

The 3.0L is out of the question. The exhaust is on the wrong side to begin with.

The 4.3L or 5.0L can be done.... but is quite involved.

Thanks Rick. There is really nothing wrong with the Aq131, its just old. Just weighing my options because of the age of the motor and the "what if" situation...

Keep the oil changed and the timing belt tight and that engine will outlast you and I put together. The outdrive is the best there is.

Thanks Rick. There is really nothing wrong with the Aq131, its just old. Just weighing my options because of the age of the motor and the "what if" situation...

Ricardo is correct, it can be done. Just make sure you have deep pockets before you start. If you can live with what you have I strongly advise you keep the boat with its current configuration.

Hull is immaculate,carpet and seats immaculate,no water standing anywhere. Prop was pretty beat up,just got a new one on her and haven't been in the water sense . replaced the old volvo 14x19 with a new volvo 14x19. Unknown ref the rpms at WOT the tack is jumping all over the place. Got to clean the contacts on the coil and try to clear that up then I may know something. Who knows 25-30 may be top end on her. She is a very HEAVY GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like Kimcrwbr1 said THIS THING WAS BUILT!!!!!!!!!!

This is an old ignition distributor, and it may very well need some attention given to the flyweight advancing system by now.
Many of these become compromised due to rust or corrosion.

When you check out your ignition system and advance, see your OEM specs. These specs will give you both BASE and Total advance.

So you'll not only want to check/set BASE advance, but you'll want to check to see what the progressive and total advance are doing.
A lazy progressive or TA will hold back power.

Good news is.... this engine is marked off for complete progressive and total advance testing throughout the RPM range.
It's all right there on the aluminum cover.

The carb might need rebuilding as well. I don't have alot of faith in solex carbs but you might get some extra oomf out of a weber conversion. But yeah these engines aren't exactly over powered and in a 19', I would say if you got 35mph you would be lucky. You could try a 21P prop. you would get higher end but slower hole shots.

The carb might need rebuilding as well. I don't have alot of faith in solex carbs but you might get some extra oomf out of a weber conversion. But yeah these engines aren't exactly over powered and in a 19', I would say if you got 35mph you would be lucky. You could try a 21P prop. you would get higher end but slower hole shots.

Ref Weber conversion?????????????????????????? I contacted Weber about a month ago and they advised the had no carb for the AQ131 fitment........!!!!!! Can you advise reference a conversion please sir?

Back