Logo

KAD44 P cut power at 2300rpm

andretti

Hello to all,

I have a boat with two KAD44 P with 440hours (apprx) and one of the motors is failing everytime the compressor start at 2300rpm (the battery voltage start getting lower and lower and when it get to 9v the motor shutdowns).

We already change the compressor, all the cables, the batteries, the alternator but the diagnosis is still inform failure 5.4. We already made two or three times the reset and then when we go to test the boat when we get to the 2300rpm the motor stops and inform the failure 5.4.

Anyone has a clue of what could be happening?

Our mechanics's are trying to fix it for 3 weeks now and nothing happens!

Did anyone had the same problem?

We really need help to solve this mystery situation!

Cheers

From an old thread on here - "The boat had a 5.4/5.5 error code on it the other day, it turned out to be a fuse hooked up to the actuator."

What does your mechanic say the 5.4 fault code is for your engine? As a note, is 2300rpm the correct starting rpm's for that engine's supercharger? Seems a bit high? Has he put a boost gauge on the engine to check the boost levels? Where are you measuring the battery voltage when it drops to 9v? At the battery itself or on the Volvo gauge? Need to check both! If the +12v that feeds the EDC unit is also feeding the supercharger magnetic clutch, could there be a bad connection so that the voltage drops at the EDC when the load of the magnetic clutch engages?
What happens if you disconnect the wire to the magnetic clutch and then run the engine up without the superchager coming on? Just a few thoughts as I am familiar with the smaller KAD32 but not the KAD44.

Hello,

Thank you so much for your answer. I will collect all the information you asked and I reply to you as soon as possible.

Cheers

Hello again,

Thank you so much for your help, it was really helpful.

It seems the problem is solved, they replace the bobbin from the compressor.

Now it's working perfectly.

Once again thank you for your tips it was a huge help.

Cheers

Hello,

Exactly! Was the magnetic clutch on the compressor.

By the way, they did the reset to failures but error 5.5 appears in both motors.

Do you have any idea of what might be the problem?

Cheers

Which model 44p do you have? I think the error codes are different for the different models. I found a 44P-B set of codes and 5.5 is a problem with the reverse gear actuator on that model. Without the right manual for your model though it is hard to say what 5.5 is.

The motor is a KAD44 P-A is the same manual as the P-B.

So you suggest we change the reverse gear actuator?

Or maybe we just need to change the cables?

Thank you for your help.

Cheers

Back